AWE is looking for Structural Dynamicists. It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
The Structural Dynamics Team help underwrite the performance and safety of AWE's structures (particularly the warhead) through a combination of dynamic testing and computer simulation.
Testing activities include modal testing to determine resonances of a structure, conducting Trident trials, carrying out rapid dynamic investigations for the stockpile and developing future ground-based certification methods.
State-of-the-art Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is a major strength of the Structural Dynamics Team. Environments of the Stockpile-to-Target Sequence (STS) are simulated to predict the stresses, strains and displacements of AWE structures.
Working within the Structural Dynamics Team at AWE Aldermaston within the Warhead Engineering community, the candidates are expected to become proficient at both dynamic testing and Finite Element analysis to solve real-world problems for internal and external customers.
Roles: Structural Dynamicists
Location - Reading Area
Salary: £35,720 - £50,000 (dependent on experience)
Closing date: 5th December 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration
We would like Candidates to have:
- A degree qualification in engineering (or an HND in engineering supported by extensive practical experience) or relevant technical experience
- A good grasp of mathematical and engineering concepts
- An ability to generate designs to solve engineering problems
- Experience in use of modern Computer Aided Design (CAD) software
- Experience of using modern Finite Element (FE) analysis software
- An ability to work as part of a team and with multiple stakeholders
Desirable knowledge and experience for these roles are:
- Experience of FE model validation and updating
- Understanding of data acquisition and signal processing
- Appreciation of dynamic testing, such as modal testing and vibration testing
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the security clearance required for the role and be willing and able to travel within the UK and overseas as required.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide any financial information. Please get in touch if you see any roles asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information, visit jobsaware.co.uk.