We are looking for an enthusiastic and talented Graduate Engineer to join the structures team in Chelmsford. The successful applicant will have a strong analytical ability and ideally experience in a working design office. The purpose of the role is to design refurbishment and replacement highway structures schemes and periodically undertake structures inspections.
Working with the team leader, senior engineer and other graduates, the role will see the applicant deliver their work to agreed programmes and budgets. The role requires good communication skills, including written and verbal. These will be essential in the preparation of engineering reports, contracts and in delivering progress reporting.
• For own health, safety and welfare
• Support Health and Safety, Environmental Management System, Quality Management System and Construction Design Management in a positive and constructive manner, with the aim of minimising work related injuries by implementing Essex Highways policies and procedures.
• Understands the overall functions, aims and directions of Essex Highways, and how the structures service fits into those objectives.
• To carry out any other reasonable duties that may be directed or implied from time to time commensurate to the post and/or organisational requirements.
ROLE SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
• To contribute to the preparation of Highway Structure schemes
• To prepare accurate sketches and hand calculations
• To support survey of highway structures to input into design solutions
• Checking own and others work, to ensure high standard of own and others work
• From time to time take part in the inspection of highway structures.
• To assist in budgetary control and ensure that financial management is undertaken throughout areas of responsibility.
• To prepare monthly progress reports and programme updates
• To undertake structures inspections
As a Graduate Engineer you will be working on a variety structure types and projects
Key traits/skills will include:
• Familiarity with Eurocodes and ideally with modern standards, DMRB, MCHW.
• Basic knowledge and application of Health and Safety legislation including Construction (Design & Management) Regulations.
• Conversant with Microsoft applications – Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Use of AutoCAD for the creation of drawings.
• Knowledge of structural software with some familiarity.
• Good written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills (including report writing).
• Ability to prioritise own work to support business priorities. Manages own performance and seeks feedback to improve where identified.
• Hold a valid driving licence and be competent at and able to drive in the UK.
Candidates will have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate clearly in written and spoken English.
Coming with a strong educational base with a Degree or Masters in Civil Engineering or related subject, the candidate will be enthusiastic about working in highway structures and able to work independently on small tasks and part of a team on larger or complex tasks.
Candidates will be willing to further their professional development through Ringway Jacobs training programme to IEng or CEng with the Institution of Civil Engineers. Once enrolled the employee will be proactive in progressing towards completion of the training programme.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide any financial information. Please get in touch if you see any roles asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information, visit jobsaware.co.uk.