We understand the impact our work has on our society and the environment. It’s the difference we make that improves people’s lives and helps the economy to grow. We work alongside our customers to deliver resilient, bespoke infrastructure solutions that keep the taps running, the energy flowing and people connected. The work we do together matters.
Do you enjoy solving real-life problems and creating a positive impact on society? Do you want to work flexibly in a way that empowers you?
Within our design team, you’ll work with UK Water Companies and high-profile infrastructure organisations, giving you the unique opportunity to bring ground-breaking work to life. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. You’ll work in a growing team of over 60 water designers that is inclusive, open-minded and where your professional development can thrive. This is a permanent full time role and will be a hybrid working style from home and our main office in Birmingham.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Undertake the role of lead designer on small and medium sized projects
- Take on significant elements of the design either working on their own initiative, with minimal supervision, or by taking a lead role working within multi-disciplinary project teams
- Have responsibility for planning and managing the delivery of the design element of the project, including resource time, cost and quality
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of project budgets including the planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources and finances
- Produce engineering drawings, reports and undertake site surveys
- Develop designs in accordance with the client’s requirements and relevant design standards to achieve cost effective solutions
- Prepare, check and present engineering solutions to others (drawings, reports, calcs etc.)
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with clients and other relevant stakeholders
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment that brings different challenges each day
- Be aware of health, safety and welfare e.g. Construction, Design and Management (CDM) Regulations and how theses safety principles might apply when designing
Skills & Experience
We want to hear from you if:
- Have design or operational experience in a utility industry, ideally UK potable water
- BSc/BEng qualified. Working towards Chartered Engineer status and membership of a relevant institution (e.g. MICE, MCIWEM). Individuals with qualifications that do not fully match the above criteria but have the relevant experience are still invited to apply
- Are computer literate and thoroughly conversant with the MS Office suite and relevant engineering software packages such as AutoCAD
- Have good communication skills in dealing with clients and colleagues, project partners, the supply chain and the public
- Employ a client focused approach to service delivery
- Have a willingness to learn
We offer a competitive salary that is based on proven skills and experience. Hard work is celebrated and rewarded. We recognise that one size doesn’t fit all so everyone has access to a variety of flexible benefits that work for you.
- Min. 24 days holiday plus statutory holidays (option to buy more)
- Company pension scheme
- Life assurance
- A selection of lifestyle benefit options
- Financial wellbeing programme
- Employee assistance program for health and wellbeing and onsite mental health first aiders to support our colleagues
- We love to give back so we offer you volunteering days in your community and charity matched giving where we will boost your fundraising
Our main value is to "Move Life Forward" and we are committed to developing our colleagues and encouraging personal growth, in conjunction with a flexible working approach so everyone can thrive in an inclusive and open environment.
We encourage you to apply for this role as soon as you can. We recognise talent waits for no one, so we progress candidates independently through all stages of recruitment process.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide any financial information. Please get in touch if you see any roles asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information, visit jobsaware.co.uk.