Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Permanent Way Design Engineer to join our Rail team to work in Derby. (We can be flexible if the right candidate came along).
You will develop and deliver Permanent Way designs from feasibility through to detailed design, including surveys, plain line and S&C renewal design, track lowering schemes, platform extension works, line speed improvement schemes, structural gauging and passing clearance analysis.
We are looking for experienced Permanent Way Design Engineers who can use MicroStation, Bentley Rail Track (BRT) and ideally Clear Route.
What you'll be doing:
As a P.Way Design Engineer, your main responsibilities are as follows:
- Undertake Permanent Way design on projects, including liaising with client, contractors and multidisciplinary design teams to ensure that the permanent way is fully integrated into the overall scheme
- Produce technical documentation including calculations, reports and specifications in accordance with standards and procedures
- Produce designer’s risk assessments eliminating hazards wherever possible through the design process
- Deliver design packages to budget, quality and programme
- Maintain good relationships with Client’s key representative
- Receive good customer feedback
- Attend formal inter-disciplinary design reviews
- Develop and deliver cost effective solutions to meet the client brief
- Mentor and develop team members
- Provide support to ongoing development of the Track Solutions team
Who we're looking for:
The following qualities and experience are essential:
- Development of accurate track design, S&C and Plain Line / or equivalent highways schemes
- Ability to manage own workload
- Working knowledge and requirements of safety legislation and regulations, including Health and Safety at Work Act and CDM 2015
- Microstation, Bentley Railtrack
The following qualities and experience are desirable:
- Detailed design of trackform designs (e.g. drainage, Under track crossings, formation design)
- Knowledge and skills in aspects of track and/or railway civil engineering surveying, specification, construction/renewal within the UK
- Track renewals / maintenance experience
- International design experience
- Knowledge of rail stressing
Why work for us:
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide any financial information. Please get in touch if you see any roles asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information, visit jobsaware.co.uk.