Our innovative thinking shapes our industry; equipping the world for tomorrows challenges. Join our Rail team as a Health & Safety Advisor on the Central Rail Track Alliance project in Birmingham and you can contribute to tangible, worthwhile work you can be proud of.
This role will be based from our Aston depot, Birmingham. This is a flexible role which will involve travel to other sites/depots and occasional home working.
The purpose of the role is to provide guidance, support, advice and compliance monitoring on Health and Safety to ensure compliance of the project. The role will provide on-site engagement, coaching and support on health and safety and promote safe behaviours on site.
Balfour Beatty has an 80% share in the 10-year alliance responsible for the development, design and delivery of track renewals and crossings, as well as associated infrastructure works across the London North West, London North East and East Midland routes.
The alliance between Network Rail, Balfour Beatty, Atkins and TSO has been created to make a positive impact on the UK track renewals industry by drawing on the strengths of all alliance partners and collaborative working.
What you'll be doing:
- Contribute to the implementation of the Zero Harm & Sustainability Action Plan
- Undertake planned & unplanned inspections, audits, joint tours and reviews of projects
- Produce formal reports on findings and communicate these to the project.
- Contribute to local and national H&S projects (e.g. MSP, Supervisor Development)
- Be involved at the planning stage to support design teams to identify and control risk.
- Engage with site teams to identify safer ways of working using the hierarchy of control
- Deliver on-going approved H&S Awareness Training to meet project and business needs
- Actively provide support and guidance to the supply chain & subcontractors.
- Assist in the development of H&S case studies and best practice.
- Relentlessly pursue every opportunity to challenge the norm
- Assist in the compilation of risk assessments and written safe systems of work
- Support the delivery of briefings & toolbox talks
- Ensure the project is compliant with all H&S Regulations, Company Policies and the BMS
- Ensure lessons learned are effectively communicated across the Project /Business area.
- Support H&S work winning activities across the business
- Support the Project /Business area during near miss/incident/accident investigations
Who we're looking for:
- Membership of a relevant professional body (IOSH/IEMA) or working towards
- Educated to NEBOSH National Level Certificate/IEMA toolbox talk
- Good communicator with influencing and persuasion skills
- Good interpersonal skills and team player
- Displaying and demonstrating the Balfour Beatty behaviours at all times
- Incident investigator/fact finder
- Accurate record keeping
- Relevant experience matched with their Project /Business area.
Our Rail business has an extensive legacy of rail expertise. Our teams safely deliver complex projects, from consultancy and design to all aspects of construction and maintenance. Using advanced plant and machinery, and unique innovations, we provide end-to-end solutions for our customers.
Our aim is to improve the passengers experience, and our teams create better journeys by increasing network capacity, improving reliability, and making our railways more efficient and sustainable.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide any financial information. Please get in touch if you see any roles asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information, visit jobsaware.co.uk.