Graduate Engineer (Geotechnical)
COWI is a pacesetter in sustainability as we move away from all fossil fuel projects. Our vision is ‘Together, we shape a sustainable and livable world’. Join us on the journey and be part of making a positive difference to communities for generations to come.
Join us in designing the future!
EXTEND YOUR POTENTIAL WITH A GLOBAL TEAM OF EXPERTS
We are looking for a Graduate Engineer to join our Geotechnical team, giving you the opportunity to co-create on some of the most prestigious infrastructure programmes in the UK.
You'll also be supported by our engineers with your on-going professional development (Chartership) to assist you tailor a plan to achieve your career aspirations.
On a day-to-day basis, you'll be responsible for:
- Producing engineering designs, assessments, and evaluations in accordance with project requirements
- Preparing calculations, undertaking local and global structural modelling, writing reports and checking drawings
- Checking design calculations and drawings done by other engineers
- Performing a wide variety of engineer activities including collating and understanding data, running analysis, developing calculation methods and working with colleagues to deliver consistently high-quality project work.
- Contribute to the dissemination of engineering good practice and implementation of our in-house tools such as the carbon calculation tool.
- With the support of your project manager, plan and prioritise your workload, reporting back on progress against a project budget and programme
- Being responsible for delivering your own work to a high technical standard, ensuring accuracy through a diligent and conscientious approach to self-checking
- Attending site visits or client meeting
YOUR SKILLS. OUR TEAM. TOGETHER, WE DESIGN THE FUTURE
To do well in this position, we believe that you'll be eager to collaborate with others while keeping our clients engaged. You'll also pursue new insights and constantly explore new ways to improve, while respecting our clients, your colleagues, the local community, and the planet we live on.
Furthermore, you'll have:
- Be Studying to obtain a bachelor's or master's degree either in either Geotechnical or Civil Engineering (BEng, BSc, Meng, MSc) and aspire to become a Chartered Engineer
- Ideally have some experience of working in an engineering environment (such as a year in industry or summer placements)
- Be enthusiastic about the energy transition opportunity and keen to make a difference
- Be flexible to work on the wide range of projects in our energy project portfolio
- Have an interest in core modules such as dynamics, fatigue and fracture, fluid dynamics, strength of materials, energy systems and joining technologies.
- Be able to demonstrate a deep understanding and enthusiasm for engineering and a personal commitment to technical excellence
- Have the ability and desire to work in a diverse and multi-disciplinary team
- Be able to demonstrate good communication skills and teamwork
WHY WORK FOR COWI
Being part of the COWI community offers more than just a competitive salary. We take care of our people both professionally and personally.
Some of our benefits include:
37 days' holiday (including bank and public holidays) | Formalised development plans and yearly promotion opportunities | Private health care, you, and your immediate dependents | Flexible and hybrid working conditions | Annual subscription fees paid for your membership of 2 Professional Institutions | Group personal pension scheme – salary exchange | Life assurance | Cycle to work scheme | Corporate gym membership
As part of our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion, we also partner with the wise campaign with the aim of recruiting candidates to create a better gender balance.
COWI'S TEAM IN THE UK
Together with customers, partners, and colleagues, we shape a future where people and societies grow and flourish. We do that by co-creating sustainable and beautiful solutions that improve the quality of life for people today and many generations ahead.
With over 93 offices worldwide, COWI is a growing international consulting group. As a member of the UK team, you'll join our skilled experts across the transportation and energy sectors. Projects are diverse and focused on offshore wind, hydro, tunnels, bridges, and highways. We pride ourselves on delivering for our clients and the communities we serve.
Living up to our core values is a priority in the way we work. We collaborate with our customers, partners, and colleagues to connect people and places to create better solutions. We respect our environment and focus on assisting local communities thrive by creating opportunities. We are curious and forward thinking as we pursue new knowledge and insights. Most importantly, We Care.
HOW TO APPLY
All we need from you is that you upload your CV and cover letter in the link below and tell us why you are the right person for the role.
COWI provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, COWI complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide any financial information. Please get in touch if you see any roles asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information, visit jobsaware.co.uk.