Advert: Manufacturing Technician
We are passionate about potatoes. But we’re even more passionate about our People!
For over 60 years we’ve been the number one branded player in the frozen potato market. When it comes to bringing the nation together at mealtimes with simple, delicious and great tasting food we’re kind of a big deal!
You won’t just find us in supermarkets though. As well as owning a household retail brand, our respected foodservice business works in close partnership with distributors, chefs and caterers across thousands of the country’s pubs, restaurants, hospitals and schools.
We have five McCain factories across the UK, including our head office in Scarborough, North Yorkshire. As well as a strong network of farmers, we also own a potato seed business in Montrose, Scotland. McCain is the UK's largest purchaser of British potatoes, buying approximately 15% of the annual potato crop.
Come and ENGINEER your career at McCain Foods.
ABOUT THE JOB.
These are fairly new roles to McCain Foods and with automation on the rise it’s important we remain ahead in our manufacturing operations. Our Manufacturing Technicians are at the sharp end of this, overseeing the plant assets. It’s their job to make quick-thinking decisions to ensure our plant is always running with limited (or no) breakdowns.
This role is a hybrid role between Engineering and Operations. You work with both teams to ensure efficient running of the assets, ensuring optimum plant efficiency to deliver the quality and quantity to make us one of the UK’s favourite food products.
We have ambitious plans. And whilst we expect machines will break down once in a while, we believe prevention is better than the cure. We want you at the forefront of our plants, knowing how our machines are running and help us come up with new and improved ways of doing it faster and better, which is why continuous improvement and reliability will pay a huge part in your role.
If you’re looking to catapult your career, then this is a great opportunity which many of our senior leaders including our Manufacturing Director having worked themselves up from a similar role. You could say ‘the fries the limit’ here at McCain.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR.
If you’re applying to our Manufacturing Technicians role then you’ll already be a qualified Engineer doing a similar job, so we don’t want to point out the obvious. But as well as being a qualified Engineer you will also need to be someone who collaborates and inspires our teams to always strive for a smooth operation - and your ability to bring people along with you is exactly what we’re looking for.
You’ll already know the importance of health and safety and hygiene. And you’ll know it’s vital that you record machine efficiencies relating to Quality, Delivery and Cost, and it will be second nature that you’re a problem solver.
We’re looking for Multi-Skilled Engineers with strong electrical and mechanical skills.
You must also have…
- The following relevant engineering qualifications:
- NVQ 3 / BTEC 3 in related Engineering discipline – mandatory of one or the other
- Time served apprenticeship - mandatory
- HNC or equivalent - desirable
- PLC modules 1 and 2 - desirable
- IOSH/NEBOSH certificate - desirable
- Knowledge of SCADA or similar systems
- Minimum of 12 months practical application of PLC learning and practice
- Ability to lead continuous improvement activity in a similar role
- Experience in control logic fault finding
- The ability to work under pressure and at speed
- Strong organisation and prioritisation skills
- The experience and ability to write and install programmes
THE SHIFT PATTERN.
We also know you’ll what to know what you’ll be working. Our shifts are typically 12-hours, working 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 nights on, 3 days off. Each of our plants differ in operating hours. We can give you more information if you’re successful to the next stage.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
Although we do encourage you to taste the goods you’ll be pleased to know we don’t pay you in chips. For working hard, you’ll also get a great salary and some pretty good benefits including:
- An excellent pension where we will pay double what you do, up to a maximum of 12% of your pay
- Flexible holidays – where you can buy & sell up to 5 days holiday per year
- Optional health cash plan
- Cycle to work scheme
- ‘Chips In’ Volunteering Day Off - to make a positive impact to the competitiveness, resilience, and long-term development of McCain communities across the globe
And of course, being part of a Global business there are great opportunities to shine/thrive should you wish to relocate in the future. We have an ambitious 5 year growth plan that presents development & progression opportunities for those who seek it out.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide any financial information. Please get in touch if you see any roles asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information, visit jobsaware.co.uk.