The food industry is an exhilarating place to be a Maintenance Engineer! We use some of the most innovative, modern and technically automated equipment available to manufacture a wide range of food products for our customers.
This is a 4-year apprenticeship (42-48 months) after which you will be a fully qualified, multi-skilled Engineer.
You will gain knowledge of:
- Food processing machinery and manufacturing methods
- Legislation and regulations, including food safety, health and safety and sustainability
- The impact of customer requirements and demands on the food supply chain
- The key principles of cleaning and hygiene processes
- Quality management systems and processes
- Continuous Improvement (CI) Management
- Materials science, including the key features of raw materials, their uses in food production and types of equipment used to process them
- Types of best practice maintenance approaches and techniques
- The principles of fault finding; both mechanical and electrical
- Cutting and welding standards and techniques
- The principles of electrical installations, testing electrical equipment and circuits and maintenance of programmable logic controllers (PLCs)
- Services and utilities, including the importance and impact of energy management
You will gain skills in:
- Carrying out engineering activities including routine & reactive maintenance, fault finding and diagnosis, testing and commissioning of machinery
- Performing first line mechanical maintenance, including removing and replacing components, cleaning, lubrication, inspection and fault finding
- Applying ‘best practice’ techniques, including condition monitoring and proactive maintenance
- Producing replacement components, using manual and machine processes
- Maintaining fluid power systems
- Welding stainless steel and other materials used in food production equipment
- Performing first line electrical maintenance, including testing, fault finding, repairing and replacing components
- Applying mathematical techniques to solve engineering problems
Throughout the course you will be primarily based at your local site, learning through hands on experience and working closely with experienced Engineers. This will be supported with blocks of college based learning to provide the theory to consolidate your knowledge. Short breaks away from home will be required as we use a National college provider so a degree of flexibility is required.
In year 1 and 2 you will work in a days only based role before moving to a 4 on, 4 off shift pattern (alternating days and nights) in year 3 and 4.Job Description
Are you hungry to learn with an appetite for engineering?
If so, be a part of our latest apprenticeship intake from September 2021.
We have an exciting and rare opportunity to join our Greencore family as an Apprentice Engineer at our local site in Crosby.
You may not have heard of us, but we’re sure you’ve tried our products. We’re a vibrant, fast-paced leading food manufacturer. Employing 12,200 colleagues across 16 world-class manufacturing sites and 18 distribution depots across the UK. We supply all of the UK’s food retailers with everything from sandwiches, soups and sushi to cooking sauces, pickles and ready meals.
Here at Crosby, we have a team of around 300 colleagues. We produce sushi for some of the biggest retailers in the UK including Asda, Aldi, Co-op, Morrisons and Sainsbury’s.What we’re looking for
- GCSE Grade 5 in Maths and Grade 6 in English (or equivalent)
- Strong IT skills
- A passion for engineering and willingness to learn
- Excellent practical skills and problem-solving ability
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy
- Team working; builds good relationships with others
- Confidence working in a fast-paced, factory environment
- Pride in work; integrity, good time management
- Good verbal and written communication skills
If this sounds like you join us, grow with Greencore and be a part of driving our future successWhat you’ll get in return
- Competitive starting salary with incremental raises across the 4 year period
- Fully funded level 3 qualification
- Excellent holiday entitlement of 25 days per annum
- Provision of accomodation and travel costs during college study placements
- Company pension scheme offering up to 8% matched contributions, up to 4x life assurance
- Access to our company share save scheme
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Exclusive Greencore employee discount platform
Throughout your time at Greencore, you will be supported with on the job training and development opportunities to further your career
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information for factors such as DBS clearance, uniforms or first aid training. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles using premium rate phone numbers, or asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.