Cobham Mission Systems has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Systems Engineering Manager to provide technical direction and to support the systems engineering strategy.
The Systems Engineering Manager is responsible for the onboarding, allocation, performance and development of the functional systems engineering team.
This is an opportunity to apply discipline domain expertise to maximize the function’s operational efficiency, harmonise technical approaches and promote best practice within the systems team.
The Systems Engineering Manager will develop appropriate discipline processes, practices and tools to achieve this functional excellence.
The Systems Engineering Manager is expected to ensure adherence of process and best practice across the systems engineering function by monitoring performance and identifying and executing improvements and training needs.
The role will also include reviewing project critical documentation as well as being an assessor and/or chairperson for design reviews.
This role is based from Wimborne, Dorset.
We are able to offer flexible working arrangements, such as working remotely with attendance on site on an agreed basis as required.
As a Senior Systems Engineering Manager, your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Degree in aeronautical, mechanical, electrical engineering or equivalent appropriate experience
- Demonstrated experience working in a Systems Engineering Management role within the Aerospace or Military Industry.
- Proven experience of planning, leading and executing projects and functional improvements.
- Strong systems experience, taking a number of projects through a systems engineering lifecycle.
- Experience using requirements capture tools (e.g. CRADLE and DOORS NG).
- Experience using MBSE processes and tools would be an advantage
- Experience of implementing change projects in complex environments.
- Proven experience of interfacing with internal and external customers.
- Proven skills and experience in leading teams and developing Systems Engineers.
- Good knowledge of Aerospace Systems Engineering Processes and technical standards (e.g. IEC15288, IEC42010), including Lifecycle Management and Requirements Management.
- Knowledge of Continuous Improvement (CI) and Resource Management tools and processes.
- High technical proficiency in systems thinking, critical thinking, and overall engineering competence.
- Is able to integrate multiple complex initiatives to drive a coherent overall strategy.
- Effective communicator in formal and informal situations
- A good knowledge of Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) Practices would be an advantage.
- Must have or be eligible obtain SC Clearance once on board
As a Senior Systems Engineering Manager, your main responsibilities will involve:
- Provide System Engineering expertise to develop tools and processes that consider best practice to improve efficiency and effectivity.
- Support the project teams to tailor functional related processes.
- Plan, co-ordinate & execute a strategy for the systems engineering function.
- Develop and champion functional and multi-skilled growth of the team in line with required competencies and Cobham values.
- Provide leadership and motivation, maintain effective communication and coordination throughout the functional team.
- Identify training and development opportunities for the systems engineering function, aligned to the capabilities and competencies required.
- Provide regular visibility of ‘functional health’. Establish and maintain performance metrics to demonstrate sustained high performance, quality and delivery to promise from the function.
- Plan, co-ordinate & supply functional resource in accordance with demand. Work with the project teams to establish clear functional resource requirements. Identify forecast resource shortfalls and take actions to resolve.
- Monitor & minimise waste within the function considering operational effectiveness and quality.
- Provide governance and approval against functionally related project documents.
About Cobham Mission Systems
As the world’s leading supplier of critical control solutions, we help our customers to increase the safety and mission capabilities of their personnel and equipment in extreme environments.
Our proven and trusted solutions in air-to-air refuelling, life support, weapons carriage and unmanned systems, deliver assured performance and class-leading through-life costs that enable our customers to bring complex projects to market quickly, and with minimal risk.
We offer challenging and rewarding roles across a wide range of disciplines that combine to make us a true global technology and service leader.
Our ethos is rooted firmly in our history of innovation, leadership and empowerment and we take great pride in solving the big problems that others can’t. If it can be done we can find a way.
We believe in operating as a team, both among ourselves and alongside our partners. And we believe in pushing our potential to its very limit.
After all, we did not get to where we are now, nor will we succeed in the future, by being unambiguous or complacent. For us, Every Mission Matters.
What You Can Expect From Us
We offer an excellent salary and benefits package which includes an annual bonus, employer matched pension scheme of up to 12%, 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays with options to buy/sell 5 days per year, company funded life cover of 3x salary and income protection scheme as well as a comprehensive Employee Assistance Programme. In addition, we offer a wide range of additional benefits through our Cobham Choice Benefit Portal covering Health & Wellbeing benefits, Insurances, Cycle Scheme, Gym Flex, Technology Scheme and discounted Retail Vouchers to name a few.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information for factors such as DBS clearance, uniforms or first aid training. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles using premium rate phone numbers, or asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.