Who we are looking for:
We are currently looking to recruit Mechanical Engineer's to support the Alpha containment discipline based in our offices in Warrington.
The role is to support the provision of the Alpha Containment Capability which inputs into Major Projects and the wider business to maintain the necessary standards for engineering delivery and asset performance within the specialism. Following a period of upskilling, the successful candidates will provide advice and guidance across a range of Alpha Containment Systems within Sellafield Ltd.
The successful candidate will also deliver Alpha Containment specific engineering tasks to the wider business. Your experience will be considered against the essential and desirable skills for the role and should you be successful at the shortlisting stage you will be informed of the appropriately graded role you are being interviewed against.
At Sellafield, we’re true pioneers. We led the world in nuclear power production, now we’re the world’s first movers into environmental remediation. Building on our rich history, we’re striding into an era where we’ll transform the environment, local society, the regional economy and the global nuclear industry.
Covering six square kilometres, the site in West Cumbria is home to more than 200 nuclear facilities. A team of 11,000 people here work alongside our supply chain partners, to tackle a diverse portfolio of decommissioning, reprocessing, spent fuel management, nuclear waste management and nuclear material management.
About the role:
To support provision of Design Capability input, in line with the business needs, to maintain the necessary standards for engineering delivery and asset performance within the Alpha Containment specialism. Following a period of upskilling, the successful candidates will provide advice and guidance across a range of Alpha Containment Systems relating to delivery and operations requirements within Sellafield Limited.
Essential and Desirable Skills
- Track record of delivering design and support for major project and asset care tasks/projects.
- Understanding of the design process, related practices and experience of all stages of design (concept, front end through to detail manufacture).
- Evidence of having a sound working knowledge and experience of relevant legislation.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Appropriate qualifications in the relevant discipline e.g. MEng, BEng, BSC, HND, HNC.
- Chartered Engineer or working towards Chartered status, to be completed within 12 months of appointment
- Pragmatic approach to problem solving and ability to apply ‘Fit for Purpose’ thinking and ‘Engineering Judgement’ where appropriate..
- Knowledge and experience of design assurance and governance processes.
- Ability to apply a questioning attitude based on knowledge of plant and equipment failure modes, fabrication details and engineering requirements.
- Management of contracts and interaction with supply chain.
- Knowledge of Alpha Containment design principles
- Familiar with Alpha Containment design standards and good practice.
- Knowledge of shielding, criticality and safety case considerations associated with the safe operation of Alpha Containment facilities.
- Knowledge of ergonomics and common glove box operational skills.
- Knowledge of Special Nuclear Material storage containment systems and operational practices.
- Highly motivated and resilient.
- Experience of effective and proactive stakeholder engagement.
Closing Date 19/4/2021
Salary: £33,968 to £44,907 depending on skills, experience and qualifications
Our work is complex, vital and demanding. Those who do it receive an attractive package of rewards and benefits. For further information and benefits of working for Sellafield Ltd please refer to the Rewards & Benefits in the Working for us section of this site.
You are advised to regularly check your emails (including any junk mail/spam folders) for correspondence related to this post, including assessment or interview invitations and any other type of correspondence relating to your application.
In the event of a high number of responses to any advert, Sellafield Ltd reserves the right to close the vacancy early.
In promoting equal opportunities, Sellafield Ltd welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We select people according to their abilities and our needs. As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information for factors such as DBS clearance, uniforms or first aid training. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles using premium rate phone numbers, or asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.