Alexander Mann Solutions (AMS) is the world's leading provider of Talent Acquisition and Management Services. We deliver award-winning solutions to over 65 outsourcing clients and consulting services to hundreds more. Our Contingent Workforce Solutions (CWS) service acts as an extension of our clients' recruitment team and provides professional interim and temporary resources.
Our client is a globally respected engineering organisation, providing white collar, Blue collar and engineering services to many sectors including energy, aerospace, marine and defence. They are committed to innovation and the continual pursuit of improvement, and with a brand holding over 100 years of service they are now developing their technology capabilities, venturing into new markets and building their customer base further.
On behalf of this organisation, AMS are looking for an Embedded Software Design Engineer for a 6-12 Month contract based in Derby/Remote Working
Purpose of the Embedded Software Design Engineer Role:
The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for delivering multiple applied research and development (R&D) and product development projects on Embedded Software Design for aerospace, marine and land-based Battery Management Systems (BMS).
Your role will involve working on novel engineering concepts and developing approaches for introducing new technologies as well as associated commercialization and product introduction strategies. Your technical contributions will include putting forward innovative ideas, designs and topologies for potential development and leading/contributing to their implementation.
As an Embedded Software Design Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Provide technical expertise into the development of BMS embedded software technologies and solutions.
- Maintain a good understanding of 'state-of-the-art' in embedded systems software design.
- Develop advanced BMS embedded software for safety critical applications in aerospace.
- Working towards becoming a subject matter expert (SME) for embedded software and represent RRE on embedded software design both internally and externally.
- Deliver design documentation and support Verification & Validation process to relevant standards.
- Actively work with suppliers to acquire the new technologies including embedded software development and verification tools.
- Maintain good customer and stakeholder engagement throughout the project cycle.
- Support the delivery of department objectives aligned with global goals.
- Actively support theBMS Team Lead with following activities including:
- Management of cross-functional activities to deliver committed milestones, on time and within budget while meeting technical, business and customer requirements.
- Engage senior management, different Rolls-Royce businesses and functions in developing strategic R&D activities.
- Co-ordinate strategic collaboration with key research partners in R&D initiatives.
What we require from the candidate:
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Electrical/Electronics/Computer/Software Engineering. Candidates with significant industrial and technology commercialization experience preferred.
- Experience with embedded software development for safety critical applications according to aerospace or automotive, industrial automation or medical standards.
- Experience in commercial solutions development i.e. from concept to final product
- Good conceptual knowledge and delivery of C/C++ coding for aerospace, automotive or industrial embedded controllers.
- Design for functional safety, preferably within aerospace, automotive or industrial including familiarity with relevant standards e.g. IEC61508 SIL-3, ISO26262 ASIL-D, EC61508, ISO26262, DO254 and DO178C
- Knowledge of MISRA C, C++ coding standards.
- Advanced understanding on trouble shooting of embedded systems and embedded firmware.
- Ability to work with embedded software and hardware suppliers to meet the system requirements.
- Strong supplier knowledge to select and procure embedded development toolchains: compilers, verification, licenses, debugging, etc. Proficient at the definition of statements of work for engineering service agreements.
- Experience in working with different embedded controllers such as ARM, DSP and/or FPGA.
- Experience with real-time operating systems, Free-RTOS, Safe-RTOS etc.
- Experience with driver development and functional verification for hardware timers, memory resources and mapping, communication protocols and stacks.
- Experience in coding for digital signal processing.
- Experience in creating formal documentation including: Requirements, Verification & Validation, Integration Testing via use of tools such as DOORS, Clearquest, Clearcase.
- Experience of working in multi-discipline teams (Electrical, Mechanical, Control and Thermal) and have a sound understanding of interdisciplinary interaction.
- Experienced in Agile and Scrum software development methodologies.
- Self-motivated team player or leader within a project or task force.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills (i.e. verbal, written, and presentation) for both expert and non-expert audiences.
- Ability to achieve targets while working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Prior experience with software development for BMS.
- Good conceptual knowledge of and have done VHDL/Verilog coding for aerospace or automotive or industrial embedded controllers
- Experience in developing firmware and application software in embedded ModelSim, QuestaSim, C/C++, Matlab/Simulink, Model Based Design, HDL coder and/or Verilog/ VHDL.
- Familiarity with user interface development using C# and/or LabVIEW.
- Sizing embedded system and firmware requirements for high speed and high voltage circuits will be advantageous.
- Knowledge of cybersecurity design and certification.
- Technical knowledge and experience with various serial data transfer methods: e.g. ARINC-429, ARINC-825, MIL-STD-1553B, general asynchronous serial (e.g. UARTs), SPI etc.
- Experience with configuration management and software revision control such as TeamCenter, GIT, PTC Integrity etc.
If you are interested in applying for this Embedded Software Design Engineer position and meet the criteria outlined above, please click the link to apply and we will contact you with an update in due course.
Please note that due to recent changes in Off Payroll (IR35) legislation, our client only operates with contractors that operate via a PAYE or Umbrella model. We are unable to accept applications from candidates wishing to operate under their own Limited Company.
Alexander Mann Solutions, a Recruitment Process Outsourcing Company, may in the delivery of some of its services be deemed to operate as an Employment Agency or an Employment Business.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information for factors such as DBS clearance, uniforms or first aid training. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles using premium rate phone numbers, or asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.