Your new role
Here at Highways England, we currently have a new opportunity for a Principal Engineer to join our team in Bedford. Within this role, you will be responsible for a team of engineers and providing pavement expertise in the identification and evaluation of asset-specific needs and early solutions, while assuring adherence to defined asset policies and standards; to act as the technical asset lead for the specific asset class(es) in scope. The role may be required to work unsociable hours.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position and during employment
What you’ll be leading on
- Ensure the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of technology schemes.
- Help develop asset-specific management plans and ensure asset management decisions adhere to defined policies and standards, provide value for money and maximise contribution to the delivery of business objectives.
- Undertaking and commissioning surveys and packages of works to inform future renewal and improvement projects.
- Continuously monitor and analyse asset data
- Support collaboration with engineering colleagues, Project Managers, Service Delivery Managers and Route Managers to ensure forward programme plans reflect asset needs, priorities and strategies.
- Provide specialist technical expertise and assurance in the development of early solutions for renewals and improvement schemes, in line with agreed methodologies and prioritisation criteria, and taking into account new techniques, materials, buildability, and costs.
To be Successful
- Experience of developing asset management plans
- Degree in a relevant discipline, Higher National Diploma, or Higher National Certificate with relevant experience, or equivalent experience
- Expert knowledge of asset condition assessment and degradation modelling
- Understanding of the Value Engineering process and/or cost-benefit analysis of schemes
- Experience in highways infrastructure design, Experience in AutoCAD desirable
- Good working knowledge of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges in particular pavement design, construction and condition assessment
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information for factors such as DBS clearance, uniforms or first aid training. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles using premium rate phone numbers, or asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.