This is a responsible role leading part of a sizeable engineering team at our largest production. The incumbent provides clear leadership, direction and vision whilst defining, developing and implementing the engineering strategy, in line with the overall company strategy. Ensuring standards and procedures are in place and regularly updated to govern all site engineering activities including aspects of new asset realisation, safe working practises, management of contractors and assessment of competencies within the teams.
We require an FMCG sector experienced engineering manager who is able to inspire and motivate the teams to excellence and mentor them as they develop new skills, whilst also being highly collaborative, a great team player and very customer focused (internal and external).
- With support functions (HR, Technical and Finance) to ensure resources required are identified and communicated with all outstanding issues resolved
- With production to ensure planned maintenance, engineering and production priorities are considered
- With site senior team and engineering teams to prioritise
Safety, Quality and Hygiene
- Ensure compliance with legislative, moral and European directive requirements
- Ensure an environment and culture of safe working practices and behaviours, leading by example and setting and managing the health and safety of engineering staff incl contractors
- Ensure food safety principles and legal requirements are applied effectively
- Actively support the audit compliance and corrective actions to improve site standards
- Recruit, manage and motivate staff via coaching, regular appraisal, mentoring, training, leadership-by-example and setting and monitoring team targets
- Ensure continued improvement in engineering skills through a structured development and training programme, matching skill levels to the requirement of the site operation
- Develop, implement and maintain an engineering strategy that is effective, efficient, to budget, well-managed, flexible and able to adapt to changing production circumstances
- Create, implement and manage both maintenance, staffing and capital expenditure budgets to achieve factory and business targets including supplier optimisation and minimal inventories
- Management of the asset register and asset disposal
- Undertake a planned maintenance programme with consideration to optimising production
- Support the integration of the engineering function into the manufacturing with a one-team mind-set
- Ensure systems for stores to minimise inventory levels and working capital
- With the site management team, ensure that the productive capability of the plant is optimised and improved for the needs of the business
Skills, qualifications and experience:
- FMCG experience with familiarity of the latest technologies and best practice
- HND/Degree or equivalent, member of recognized professional body – IET/Mech E, ICT/Institute of Mechanical Engineering
- NEBOSH certified with proven track record of leading an engineering department
- Experience of creating a Lean enterprise culture with a professional continuous improvement qualification eg: Six Sigma
- Experience of managing sizeable teams and building a high performing workforce
- Commercially astute with experience of managing large budgets and contractors
- Project management expertise of large-scale engineering and infrastructure projects
- Able to influence strategically and persuade tactfully to obtain desired outcomes within a matrix organization structure and with cross functional teams
- Operational expertise in risk management and contingency planning
- Effective problem and conflict resolution skills and proven team focus
- Demonstrable ability to set and manage priorities, resources, performance target and project initiatives
- Conceptual, analytical and strategic thinking
Proactive health and safety is a prerequisite to employment at Karro Foods. All roles have a responsibility to demonstrate commitment to the companies’ health and safety goals, and as such it forms an essential component of all job descriptions, at all levels.
- Competitive salary
- 33 days holiday per year (including public holidays)
- Competitive contributory pension
- Private medical cover
- Life assurance scheme funded by Karro
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked pork products with c. 4,000 employees over 13 sites across the UK and Ireland. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally. We have full production chain visibility and our pork is eaten by millions of consumers every year.
Karro is part of the Eight Fifty Group which with the acquisitions of Youngs and Greenland Seafood is now one of the UK’s leading multi-protein food businesses, with sites across the UK, Republic of Ireland, Germany and France and sales of circa £1.9 billion.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information for factors such as DBS clearance, uniforms or first aid training. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles using premium rate phone numbers, or asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.