Engineering Shift Manager
Are you passionate about engineering? Looking for a new challenge? Do you have experience or qualifications in management and engineering?
As an inclusive, forward thinking business, we take pride in our approach to investing in our technology across Avara Foods and are looking for a highly competent and motivated Engineering Shift Manager to join our Engineering Team, based at our site in Brackley, Northamptonshire.
A fast-paced, dynamic FMCG factory environment which is noisy and refrigerated in some areas, manufacturing short shelf life products where hygiene standards are critical. The role is both factory and office based, working 4 on 4 off (rotating days and nights)
Purpose of the role:
As an Engineering Shift Manager, you will lead and manage the day to day running of the Engineering Shift in order to support all activities on site by assessing all aspects of maintenance procedures, ensuring a safe working environment at all times. Responsible for the management, welfare, training and development of the relevant Shift Engineers.
Your key responsibilities as Engineering Shift Manager will include:
- Lead and manage a Shift of Engineers and Apprentices, including recording all necessary administrative requirements on TMS
- Responsible for on-shift Engineering performance of fast-moving production line and wider factory Engineering activities with due consideration for safe plant operations. Assessing all aspects of maintenance procedures, ensuring a safe working environment at all times
- To ensure equipment is set up ready for shift start, performs at required output and ensure lines are shut down correctly. Ensure attendance at all SICs during the shift period
- Must be familiar with process machinery or equivalent equipment and have the ability to fault find
- Ensure that delivery of agreed SLA standards is maintained where appropriate
- Accountable for allocating and recording stock used in support of machinery. Includes requesting of replacement parts and sourcing of additional parts as required; this requires close liaison with the REACT store man, Engineering Planner and Engineering Operations Manager
- Responsible for control and management of tools allocated to the Shift
- Maintain the Workshop and outside areas to high standard, ensuring regular checks are conducted and satisfactory feedback is received from GMP audits
- Ensure that the training and, development needs of any subordinate staff are identified and addressed and contribute generally to the development of an overall learning culture within the company. Conduct 121s, agree Personal Development Plans and formally record meetings
- Review data on equipment effectiveness, review PMs and coordinate inclusion of jobs on weekend or daily plans
- Lead and support improvements projects and initiatives
- Production of Engineering Shift Report
- Issuing of permits through SINICA and Contractor Management while on-site
- HNC certification or Advanced Apprenticeship in Engineering
- 6+ years of engineering experience
- Self-motivated attitude with the ability to multi-task and thrive in a timeline-driven environment
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work individually or as part of a team
- Desirable experience in Engineering leadership
- Desirable NEBOSH or IOSH
- Desirable IEE 17th or 18th Edition
- Instrumentation and process control experience
- Desirable PLC experience
- Air and pneumatics trained
- Desirable refrigeration experience
Avara Foods is one of the UK’s largest food businesses, supplying chicken and turkey to the nation’s most popular supermarkets and restaurants. We are a fully integrated business controlling the whole product supply chain, which include feed mills, farms, hatcheries and factories with associated transport and logistics functions that employ more than 7000 people. This is achieved by investing in people, utilising the latest technology and being uncompromising in our commitment to high quality and food standards.
All our facilities are Covid secure, with protective measures and precautions in place to keep our people safe which include:
- Virtual interview process
- Daily temperature screening
- Social distancing measures – including floor markers and 2m separation where possible
- Screens and barriers installed at workstations and canteens
- Face coverings required in all shared spaces
- Increased cleaning regimes across sites
- Virtual meetings and remote working
As an Engineering Shift Manager you will enjoy a secure, supportive and progressive working environment, where your contribution and achievements will be recognised and rewarded.
We offer comprehensive training as well as continuous development as you build your career with us. You can also look forward to benefits that amongst other things include the following:
- 31 Days Holiday
- 6% Pension
- Life Insurance
- Various lifestyle benefits, including wellbeing resources
If you’re ready to work in a dynamic environment alongside talented people who take pride in delivering great results, apply today!
We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information for factors such as DBS clearance, uniforms or first aid training. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles using premium rate phone numbers, or asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.