About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Section Engineer (Civils) to join our Rail team to work in Sawbridgeworth.
Actively manage and be responsible for the Planning, Engineering Delivery, Budget Management and Technical Assurance of assigned projects to scope and budget ensuring that all health, safety, quality, sustainability and environmental requirements are satisfied;
Co-ordinate works to align and fully integrate with other discipline works to meet programme and budget.
What you'll be doing
As a Section Engineer you will:
Planning & Preparation:
- Develop and assist time/chainage or gant programmes aided by staging diagrams for core work activities;
- Populate resource schedules in line with programme requirements;
- Develop the train matrix planning for stage-works using spoil and ballast calculations, tampers and key plant;
- Formulate stressing plans, locations, stressing considerations, structure loading and clearances;
- Develop the CPPS, WPPs, Task Briefing Sheets & mitigation plans;
- Integrate and contribute to White Board Briefings;
- Control technical budgetary constraints; including resource, materials & equipment requirements;
- Effectively communicate task requirements to internal & external staff.
Design Constructability Reviews:
- Safety by Design reviews (construction) to confirm safety of the proposed construction works;
- Explore opportunity to improve the design with regard to efficiency, budget and engineering focus;
- Liaise with the Client, Principal Designer and Contractors Engineering Manager (CEM) of any concerns/technical queries regarding design data.
- Management of Critical Rail Temperatures (CRT) information on all sites;
- Ensure all interfacing activities are understood and coordinated to avoid conflict and clashes;
- Process external design data into standard BBR to enable effective setting out and installation; including generation of Scheme Sheets, ITPs, As Built sheets, ALC/Matisa tamping files & 3D design files (e.g. Terramodel);
- Manage and implement the effective setting out of the installations including 3D control methods;
- Manage, maintain and record calibration certificates for all surveying and other equipment to required quality;
- Development of Inspection & test plans (ITPs) and ensure approval of each;
- Lead, direct and monitor the on-site engineering works undertaken by internal & external resource for all site works. Act as the engineering liaison with clients, sub-contractors and suppliers where required;
- Ensure the implementation of ITPs to monitor and record compliance of the construction works assurance that work is completed and documented complaint to Network Rail standards, specifications & company procedures;
- Ensure the technical assurance and compliance of the works to standards, specifications and Track Quality;
- Ensure the recording of as-built details on drawings and documents in support of the health and safety files;
- Produce Health & Safety file information.
Technical Change & Problem Solving:
- Identify potential variations to contract and opportunities for added value to the Senior Agent / Project Manager;
- Report issues and problems to Senior Agent;
- Effectively manage the utilisation of plant and equipment on site;
- Plan and optimise the work on a day to day basis;
- Deliver the Project to time and within cost targets, interfacing with other disciplines as appropriate.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
Minimum HND/ONC or Degree equivalent;
Good on-site delivery experience;
Knowledge of P-Way and Civils design ,3D surveying and setting out;
Up-to-date knowledge of plant and equipment;
Proficient knowledge of project planning and resource management;
Knowledge of ISO quality systems.
PTS and COSS;
Proficient in the use of surveying and gauging equipment;
CAT scanning competence;
Computer literate in: Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook, Ms Project. Design software (Design Route & Excel Hallade Design Template), 3D control software (e.g. Trimble Business Centre) & Tamping software and Knowledge of Gauging software;
CDM Regulations awareness.
Technical Experience in P-way and Civils;
Computer literate experience with Microsoft Project, CAD, 3D Design software.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information for factors such as DBS clearance, uniforms or first aid training. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles using premium rate phone numbers, or asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.