Taplanes® is the UK’s leading manufacturer of bespoke modular bathroom pods. We have been in business for over 40 years and are now looking to recruit another talented Design Engineer to join our Graduate Development Programme. We are looking for someone who is passionate about combining technical innovation with aesthetics to create specialised modular bathroom pods that are both functional and good looking.
We are looking for a talented Design Engineer to join our Graduate Development Programme within the technical team at our factory near Harrogate. Our Graduate Development Programme is now in its third year and our first cohort of graduates have become key employees within Taplanes. The technical team is involved in all aspects of product design: designing new products to bring to market, providing bespoke solutions and drawings for our customers and creating technical instructions for our CNC driven manufacturing facility. Once familiar with our products the role will progress to include direct customer involvement. Our clients are based throughout the UK and Europe and the role will eventually include travel to customer sites.
The key areas of the role include:
- New product design
- Product development and improvements
- On-site surveys and specification
- Detailed drawings
- Bill of materials & product costing
- Providing technical support to clients
- Working closely with programmers, machinists & fabricators
- Working closely with sales engineers and customers to specify solutions and designs
- Developing a Taplanes product configurator powered by DRIVEWORKS to produce drawings and quotes
- Creating and maintaining our configurated product library, technical documents such as product data sheets, OEM Manuals and contributing to product marketing and website materials.
As a Design Engineer you should have/be:
- Degree in Product Design or similar technical degree (essential)
- SOLIDWORKS expertise – you must be a confident SOLIDWORKS user (this is an ESSENTIAL requirement! Using SOLIDWORKS once for a university project in your second year is not sufficient. You have to be able to use SOLIDWORKS competently from day one)
- 2D AutoCAD experience (essential)
- DRIVEWORKS experience (HIGHLY DESIRABLE but not essential)
- EdgeCAM or other CNC programming experience (desirable but not essential)
- A proficient user of Microsoft Office (WORD & EXCEL are essential)
- A proficient user of Adobe Creative Cloud (desirable)
- Understanding/appreciation of the built environment (desirable but not essential)
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills (essential)
- Experience of working directly with customers (desirable but not essential)
- Full UK driving licence (essential)
- A self-starter, resourceful with a can-do, will-do attitude (essential).
- Excellent communication skills (essential)
Whilst initially office-based, the role may involve visiting clients and assisting with site surveys prior to preparing drawings, training for which will be provided. We are looking for someone who is confident, personable and adaptable - someone who is keen to learn and develop a career. Our ideal candidate would have some post-graduation design experience and is now looking to develop a career with an innovative and ambitious company, however we remain open-minded about this – you could be a recent graduate, someone who has recently completed a degree via an apprenticeship or someone with a couple of years of experience under your belt. The most important things are excellent technical design skills, spatial awareness, good people skills and a positive attitude.
Starting remuneration is dependent on experience circa £23k - £25k per annum. This is a 2-year Graduate Programme with salary increments throughout upon achieving milestones. Successful completion of the programme will result in a minimum salary of £27k at the end of the 2 years. Taplanes is an accredited Living Wage Employer and we offer a relaxed working environment with flexible working arrangements available, an employee assistance scheme in place and a commitment to ensuring that Taplanes is a good place to work.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter which explains why you are interested in working with Taplanes and what you would bring to our company. Applications without a proper covering letter will not be considered.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information for factors such as DBS clearance, uniforms or first aid training. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles using premium rate phone numbers, or asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.