Job Title : Groundwater Specialist / Senior Hydrogeologist
Our client is one of the largest and fastest growing environmental companies in the world. They operate a highly successful groundwater business which operates within their geo-environmental team of c. 100 professionals. They operate nationally and manage several high-profile groundwater frameworks and contracts including the Northern Irish Private Water Supply Framework, Northern Ireland Water Consultancy Framework and Environment Agency National Borehole Decommissioning Project.
Due to their recent success in securing several long term groundwater resource evaluation and implementation projects they have a unique opportunity for an ambitious hydrogeologist to join them and manage several Key Client Accounts. The successful candidate will be joining them at an exciting time in their growth and development as a business. This is a senior position at either Senior Hydrogeologist or Principal grade (depending on your experience) with a focus on the management, growth and development of our groundwater services
The successful candidate will be enthusiastic, confident and self-motivated, with strong commercial and technical skills as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills. This position would suit those with an already successful career in groundwater consultancy, specifically in the area of groundwater resource development. Within this role you will be given the opportunity to further develop your project management and leadership skills in a fast growing and dynamic consultancy environment.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone interested in providing professional advice in respect of the feasibility, investigation, testing, procurement and implementation of new private and public supplies. Their preferred candidate would have proven experience as a groundwater professional ideally with groundwater resource exploitation experience in the UK and Ireland. They are expected to have a sound technical understanding of the UK and Northern Irish groundwater abstraction regulatory and licensing regime and be able to demonstrate experience in tendering and managing projects of at least £100k+ value.
You will be based out of our Belfast office, but will have the opportunity to work on hydrogeological projects in Great Britain and Ireland, as well as internationally.
You will need to have a flexible approach to time management and be willing to travel from you home for short periods.
Key duties and responsibilities of the role:
- Act as the day-to-day client interface.
- Conduct site visits for technical assessment and problem-solving based on current UK guidance and best practice.
- Management and technical delivery of Hydrogeological Risk Assessments and Desk Top Studies.
- Site supervision of small to large scale site investigation works, including costing, procuring of work from sub-contractors, soil and rock logging and sampling, scheduling of chemical / environmental and geotechnical analysis, ground gas and groundwater monitoring.
- Logging of soils and rocks to BS5930, and Eurocode7.
- Preparation and review of health and safety documentation including risk assessments and method statements.
- Preparation and peer review of factual and interpretative desk studies and site investigation reports including production of conceptual site models and quantitative controlled waters risks assessments.
- Undertake and support the design, implementation and interpretation of site investigation data.
- Undertake role of employer’s representative / Supervisor on site investigation projects.
- Checking and review of junior members of staff and support senior staff to ensure delivery of projects.
- Mentoring of junior staff, providing technical guidance and constructive support to aid their development in areas of site investigation, assessment and report writing.
- Liaison with clients, local and wider geo-environmental team members and other disciplines on key projects.
- Input into tenders and preparation of fee proposals.
- Support experienced project managers.
- Preparation of method statements.
- Liaison with contractors, laboratories and regulators.
- Field based work including monitoring and contractor supervision.
- Data collection, collation and analysis.
- Report checking.
The successful candidate must be willing to travel, have a valid driver’s license, work independently and have strong written and verbal communication skills.
Essential Skills / Qualifications and Experience:
- A minimum of a good honours degree in earth sciences, geology or geochemistry and a master’s degree or doctorate in hydrogeology. The ability to analyse information and to present this logically and accurately in reports or verbal presentations.
- proficient at writing interpretative reports in support of abstraction licence applications for new individual private and public supplies as well as licences for new well fields.
- experience in designing and procuring groundwater abstraction investigations, desk based analysis of pumping test data for confined and unconfined aquifer systems
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft packages including Word and Excel.
- Experience of using pumping test analysis software such as Aquifer Win32, Aquitest and other.
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to work as part of a large multi-disciplinary team, as well as being willing to work individually.
- You will need to be a team player willing to work away from your base office, with a high level of personal responsibility and adaptable and flexible approach to different project requirements.
- Full clean driving licence
Proficient in the use of Microsoft packages including Word and Excel;
Ability to use groundwater modelling packages such as MODFLOW;
An understanding of water chemistry;
Water treatment experience to a public supply standard.
Borehole design, installation and pumping test analysis.
In return for your dedication, you’ll enjoy a quality total remuneration package, including contributory pension, life insurance, health cover and flexible working options. Pick and choose your perfect blend from advantages including childcare, additional holiday and travel insurance. You’ll also benefit from a tailored package or professional training and development, with support to achieve your career goals.
Their annual appraisal cycle proprovid a framework for managing your professional develpment and you’ll benefit from great training and support from our large national geo-environmental team. This is aimed ahelping you develop, whilst achieving both your technical and career aspirations.
The flexible benefits scheme was introduced in recognition of the fact that the needs and priorities of each individual differ. “Flexible Benefits” is a menu of benefit options which allows you to vary your remuneration package to suit your own personal circumstances.
We are always happy to discuss flexible working, including the possibility of reduced hours, flexible start and finish times, or compressed hours. We can offer a range of solutions to help you to get the most out of your work / life balance.
Our client is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information for factors such as DBS clearance, uniforms or first aid training. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles using premium rate phone numbers, or asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.