Exciting engineering opportunities have become available for candidates to support Surface Ships and Submarines within Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) and the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA). This diverse Maritime area encompasses expertise across 'Electronics and Sensors', 'Systems and Integration' and 'Computer Engineering' within the Surface Ship Combat Systems or In-Service Submarines Platform Chief Engineers teams.
If selected for the SDA; the roles contribute to maintaining safe systems across all In-service, build and future platforms and play a fundamental role in engineering and safety decision making. The focus of these roles will be to maintain operation of in-service submarines as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) and Design Authority for a range of complex Control & Indication and platform systems.
Those successful for a Surface Ship role you will work in one of our Combat Systems teams; a Combat System draws intelligence from various sensors, providing information on aspects such as navigation, meteorology, weapons, ship's information and messaging systems, Integrated Platform Management systems, and communication systems. The inputs from these sensors are controlled through complex command and control systems, which have a significant reliance on software and are, therefore, vulnerable to cyber-attacks that can endanger intelligence and safety.
Successful candidates will be required to carry out a variety of tasks within this application area, the highest demand being in roles ensuring the integration of new or replacement equipment, such as a radar or communications system, into existing platforms. This must be achieved whilst ensuring that other legacy equipment can continue to operate safely and securely.
You will have the ability to bring complex systems together into an integrated platform. As safety is key to Defence, experience from within a heavily-regulated engineering environment, such as Air, Automotive, Rail, Nuclear, Maritime (Commercial or Military) or Weapons, would be of particular interest.
Responsibilities of these roles may include, but not be limited to the following:
- Working on the Command and control system, ensuring that all equipment can interface
- Ensuring that there is a robust upgrade plan that stakeholders can contribute to, to ensure that security and safety is maintained and legislation is implemented
- Working to resolve operational technical defects through advising the ship's crew of testing procedures
- Working with the logistics function and industry to identify spare units or workarounds, depending on operational priority and safety assessment
- Working on acquisition programmes to oversee all of the equipment provided, to ensure the performance of the overall platform is achieved in a cost-effective solution
- Supporting the technical acquisition process, by reviewing industry submissions and supporting production of technical contractual documentation
- Developing and providing subject matter expert advice
- Reviewing and proposing equipment design changes
- Working within the Design Authority for a range of on-board systems
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- A minimum of Level 4 (HNC) Electrical/Electronic Systems Engineering (or similar) qualification OR suitable relevant experience
- Experience in Electronics and Sensors, Systems Integration, and/or Electrical/Electronic Interfaces
- Understanding of technical risk analysis and risk based decision making
- Demonstrable experience providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes
- Experience working with suppliers, contractors, subject matter experts and/or shareholders
- An understanding of the principals of engineering management
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Level 6 (e.g. BEng) qualification in Electronic Systems Engineering
- Stakeholder management experience
Please note that some of these posts will be open to sole UK nationals only.
The closing date for application is Sunday 29th November.
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.