I have an exciting opportunity for an Electrical Machine Engineer to join a market leading company in Birmingham to support current programmes and advanced Research and Development.
This role will take a lead in research projects as part of a skilled design team operating in an international business environment supporting global customers.
The company are a global leader in the design and manufacture of pumps for the autmotive industry, and thanks to their commitment to innovation they are supporting the electrification of their products and developing electric auxiliary pumps for use in commercial electric vehicle applications. .
- Electrical machine development including requirements definition, design and analysis, and demonstration electrical machine prototypes through to initial production.
- You will contribute to a wide range of electrical technologies including brushless permanent magnet motors and motor and control design for low voltage applications.
- Produce clear, comprehensive product specifications and performance requirements with input as necessary from the mechanical systems teams as well as partners and suppliers as appropriate.
- Thermal modelling of electrical machines
- Thermal model including also controller and pump
- Develop and implement performance predictions data of electrical machines using electromagnetic FEA
- Support and lead technical customer discussions
- Mechanically design windings
- Produce prototypes
- Verify prototypes
Qualifications and Experience:
- Significant experience in designing electrical machines including some of the following; energy storage devices, inverters, drives, powertrains and motors (ideally sensorless).
- Experience in writing technical documents such as: hardware, product design, procurement and test specifications; electrical schematics.
- Development of design verification test plans for electrical machines
- Knowledge of relevant industry standards and design practices
- Electrical machine design for high-volume applications (e.g. automotive or industrial)
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent with minimum 3 years post graduate experience.
- Preferably a PhD……
- Experience of 3d modelling of motors / CAD
- Find it inspiring to automate the design tasks with scripts etc
- Experience of various motor technologies
- Experience of optimization using different materials
As part of a global organisation, they offer excellent development prospects, along with a competitive salary and benefits package which includes pension, profit sharing bonus and 33 days annual holiday.