The role: We are looking to appoint a Depot Engineer to be based at our OFD (Oil & Fuel Depot) located at Thanckes in Cornwall, to be accountable for all maintenance and engineering matters onsite regardless of discipline. The post holder will interface with the central engineering team, lead the execution of minor new works and ensure the site remains compliant against the Planned Preventative Maintenance schedule of inspections.
This is an exciting opportunity as our OFD at Thanckes is currently undergoing major works as the existing Fuel Jetty is over 60 years old, and is in need of replacement and updating to provide a modern facility for fuelling Royal Navy shipping. The multi-million-pound investment at the depot will ensure it continues to comply with all current standards and health and safety regulations.
We are also in the early stages of designing an upgrade for the site tank farm. This project is still in the pre-approvals stage but will include the replacement of the existing storage tanks over a 5 to 6 year period.
Working as part of a small team, this role also deputises for the Operations Manager and Depot Manager and the post holder must be prepared to take on the necessary responsibilities and make appropriate decisions. This may include supporting other OPA installations across the UK.
You will also support the project team and ensure all new asset data is obtained and developed to be uploaded to the OPA Computerised Maintenance Management System (Agility).
The role requires good organisational and administration skills. Good communication and interpersonal skills are also required to build strong working relationships within a safety critical environment, promoting a process safety culture and willing to say “stop” when witnessing unsafe acts.
- To manage and develop the engineering resources such that OFD Thanckes operates flexibly and efficiently to meet OPA engineering compliance and KPI targets whilst maintaining an exemplary SHE performance,
- Manage the maintenance and engineering interface between OFD Thanckes and the OPA Engineering Department,
- Accountable for ensuring the compliance with the Planned Preventative Maintenance schedule of inspections for all site assets at OFD Thanckes via Agility (CMMS),
- Maintain plant equipment in order to maximise availability of fuel delivery of fuel to authorised demanders in line with relevant SLAs and OPA objectives and targets,
- Responsible to liaise with OPA Project Engineers and contractors/suppliers to ensure the Risk Assessments, Job Method Statements and skilled person competence is satisfactory to allow work to be approved,
- Attend progress meetings or lead and report on progress where projects are managed by the Depot,
- Identify and initiate Management of Change processes where there is a change to procedures, plant & equipment, people or substances,
- Ensure compliance with the OPA Safe Systems of Work (SSoW) at all times, including Control of Works AP, issuing of permits and supervision of contractors.
The candidate: You will need to be an experienced maintenance supervisor/manager, able to demonstrate strong leadership skills with a focus on ensuring a positive culture, and that safety standards are maintained and improved at Thanckes.
You will be able to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the requirements of an upper tier COMAH installation, and the safety culture which must prevail in such establishments and able to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the petroleum supply chain and the working arrangements of a Petroleum storage depot.
The ideal candidate will be qualified in an appropriate engineering discipline (Mechanical, Electrical or Control & Instrumentation) and have engineering/maintenance experience working in a high hazard or COMAH regulated industry.
A full driving licence is essential for this post as some occasional travel will be required.