Roke is a world-class technology and engineering consultancy. Roke delivers advanced research, development services and products to high profile customers who come to Roke with varied and challenging problems to solve. Our products business is expanding. We are looking for an experienced engineer to lead the transition of our products from development to manufacture.
With experience in manufacturing hand-held or portable electronics products you will appreciate the importance of specifying and controlling the production process. With a proven background in the Defence, Communication or Aviation industries you will be comfortable working with design and operational teams to ensure that solutions incorporate best-practice disciplines of Design for Manufacture, Test and Through-life support.
- Identify, plan and implement appropriately scaled processes to ensure that the needs of the entire production lifecycle, from prototype to end-of-life are met.
- Be the project technical lead for sub-contract and in-house manufacture. Review manufacturing documentation, create data-packs and control the release of information to suppliers. Resolve queries, mitigate risks and implement improvement activities.
- Lead the ordering, management and assembly of parts for projects. Balance the need for concise component definition with the agility required to meet timescales and budgets.
- Be an authority on manufacturing process and technologies, document/part numbering and configuration management.
- Identify tasks and plan your own work-load.
- Be responsible for your own development. Continuously improve your skills to keep up to date with industry technologies and practices. Identify capability gaps and seek support to close them. Seek opportunities to coach and mentor others.
- Maintain our existing products, ensuring that design, supply-chain and production issues are resolved in an appropriate manner.
Skills and Qualifications
- You have a degree in an electronics related discipline.
- You must be an excellent communicator with concise verbal, written and spoken technical English. You understand the roles involved in developing products in our markets and have experience working with design, supply-chain and manufacturing teams.
- You can adapt your communication style for your audience with the flexibility to engage in strategic discussions with project teams to resolving detailed technical issues with sub-contractors.
- You are able to review mechanical and electronics drawings and their associated manufacturing data, providing constructive feedback where appropriate.
- You can review schematics and propose or recommend electronic part substitutions.
- You have practical experience of working with a range of mechanical and electronic manufacturing organisations and understand the processes, capabilities and limitations used in their industries.
- You have experience developing products using the V model. You have a clear understanding of the process and be able to talk confidently on the objectives of each phase.
- You have practical experience with a configuration management process using: Engineering Change Requests, Engineering Change Notes and Problem Reports.
- You have experience of using PCB or mechanical CAD tools, can describe their concepts and their manufacturing output files.
- You have an in-depth understanding of the design, technologies and processes used for the procurement, manufacture, inspection and test of RF and digital electronics.
- You have experience using an ERP system and understand how it is used to support manufacture.
- You have worked within engineering teams to deliver products in some of the following disciplines:
- Electronic and Software systems
- RF and high-speed digital electronics
- Safety standards,
- Mechanical, Electro-mechanical systems
- Antennas and EMC
You have an appreciation of the techniques use in the manufacture of some of the following:
- Machined metal components
- Injection moulded plastics
- Formed plastics
- Seals and gaskets
- Rapid prototype plastics and metals
Why You Should Join Us
We have a competitive salary and access to a number of additional flexible benefits, which will cover Health and Wellbeing, Savings and Protection & Life, Leisure and Entertainment.
Roke has a great community of groups with shared interests. These enable people to share ideas and be passionate about tools, technologies & techniques, which interest them.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, creative and inclusive. We will consider flexible working arrangements and support a diverse work-force and those with additional needs.
Due to the nature of this position, candidates must be willing to undergo, and eligible to achieve security clearance. As a result, candidates should ideally be a British Citizen however you can hold another nationality and have resided in the UK for the last 5 years. Should you already hold clearance, we will assist you in the transfer of this. We also offer a high level clearance bonus.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity, and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, creative and inclusive.