We are offering you the chance to be part of something amazing. We use innovation, partnerships, and our 60 years of experience to offer our clients exceptional advice, research and development. Every day, our people use their passion, skills and intelligence to make the world a safer place. Why not join us?
What will your role look like?
Within Roke’s Cyber and Networks Profession, you will be making and breaking today’s technology and using this knowledge to design and build the next generation of secure systems. Our Cyber Launchpad technical training programme has been created to nurture talent to ensure we can meet our customers’ needs in security engineering, software reverse engineering and security research.
Depending on your interests and career path, you might be securing communications systems, building active cyber defence platforms, conducting specialist research or application security reviews, or creating bespoke software and systems for our clients.
What does our Graduate Development Programme look like?
At Roke we recruit some of the best talent the country has to offer. We provide the building blocks necessary for successful integration into the business, as well as the ongoing support to enable our graduate community to fulfil their undoubted potential. That’s why we’ve created a programme that will accelerate individual learning and development while delivering real business value by giving you the time, trust and freedom to take control of your career. This emphasis on experiential learning is supported through initiatives including:
- A mixture of technical and soft skill training in order to provide you with the skills you need to thrive
- Regular access to senior leaders
- Opportunities to attend external exhibitions/conferences in order to broaden industry knowledge
We have a wide range of opportunities in this area so your role will vary depending on your existing experience, our customer needs and your aspirations.
What do we expect from you?
Working within the Cyber & Networks Profession there’s no one single set of skills that we’re looking for. We are a diverse team who all match our skills to the different sorts of work we do.
Ideally we would like you to have a good honours degree in a related subject, but we’re also interested in you being able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills you have developed and apply them in novel ways, regardless of your academic background.
Wherever your interests in Information Security lie, you will need to:
- Work well with others;
- Communicate clearly and effectively;
- Be interested in making, breaking and securing systems and software;
- Be inquisitive about the how and why systems are created as they are;
- Take pride in producing high quality answers to hard problems.
- Most of our Cyber and Networks roles involve creating software at some point, so you should be familiar with at least one programming language, and able to write clear, correct code in that language.
What additional skills may be useful?
Knowledge or interest in some of the following:
- Systems, software and security engineering;
- Other programming languages and paradigms (e.g. C, C++, Rust, Erlang, Python, Haskell, Java);
- Operating systems or networking internals; for example kernel programming or network protocols;
- Reverse engineering (e.g. using IDA / Ghidra) and assembly language (x86_64 or ARM);
- DevSecOps toolchains and practices;
- Computer forensics;
- Application and network security practices;
- Cyber-physical systems.
Where will you be based?
Your work will typically be located at Roke's sites in either Romsey or Gloucester, with some travel to customer sites and the possibility for you to work on secondment with one of our prestigious customers.
The benefits of working for us include:
- A highly competitive salary, pension and flexible benefits.
- A substantial performance related bonus scheme.
- 25 days annual leave, which can be supplemented up to a further 8 days by Roke’s flexi-leave scheme.
- A generous relocation allowance to help you settle into the local area and your new role.
- Onsite tennis courts, gym (Romsey only) including showers & changing facilities, and fishing rights on the River Test.
- Numerous company events throughout the year, including a summer music festival, bonfire night fireworks and Christmas party.
- Employee led clubs covering numerous sports (including football, climbing, sailing, etc.), cyber security, data science, robotics, gaming, and more.
Diversity and Inclusion
Roke relies on strength that comes from the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our staff. We all have a responsibility to create an environment where we have the freedom, support and trust to succeed– where we are encouraged to bring our whole self to work. Diversity and Inclusion makes life at Roke enjoyable, as you find yourself integrated in teams made up of a variety of people with ranging backgrounds and experiences. This enables you to interact and connect with individuals, and gather differing perspectives and knowledge that broadens your horizons as a graduate.
Due to the nature of this position, we require you to be eligible to achieve SC and/or DV clearance. As a result, you should be a British Citizen and have resided in the UK for the last 5 years.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, creative and inclusive. We will consider flexible working arrangements, and support a diverse work-force and those with additional needs.