Curtiss-Wright is looking for an experienced Mechanical Engineer to join our Avionics Team at our state-of-the-art facility by Bournemouth Airport. Here in Bournemouth, we design and manufacture cockpit voice and data flight recorders as well as air data computers. Our Air Data Computers have the world's highest specification pressure sensors while operating in an aircraft environment! They supply altitude and airspeed readings directly to primary cockpit displays and auto pilots. Our recorders survive an 1100°C fire, 3400g shock impact, deep sea immersion at 20,000ft depth for 90 days and retain the recorded data which is then used to identify the cause of a crash. This is your chance to make an impact in flight safety of helicopters and fixed wing aircraft while working for a global organization working at the cutting edge of technology.
As Mechanical Engineer, you would work in a team of skilled Hardware, Firmware, Mechanical and Qualification Engineers who work on projects related to Air Data Computer & Flight Recorder technology. You would design mechanical assemblies retaining and protecting circuit boards, in a helicopter or fixed wing aircraft environment. Our designs include flex-rigid circuit cards for acquisition and a crash tube protecting the memory module from which the data is recovered in the event of a crash.
- Various technical challenges will be presented so you will need to think on your feet and come up with innovative solutions to overcome them.
- Participating in the evaluation of new technology and manufacturing methods as required to support continuous improvement of company processes
- Maintaining current knowledge within your area of technical specialisation and ensure the benefit of this knowledge is realized within design solutions
- Accepting technical responsibility for mechanical design and provide technical support for bid responses
- Provide definition of work packages and accurate job estimates to support project planning and bidding
- Co-ordinate purchase/manufacture and test of materials / prototype items in support of design/development activities
- Carry out mechanical design analysis (stress, vibration, shock, impact, temperature, weight) on all new designs and existing company products where necessary
- Active participation in design reviews throughout a product's design cycle and working with the chief engineer to co-ordinate the entry and exit criteria
- Preparation and maintenance of production drawings, computerised Bills of Material and other associated manufacturing/technical documentation
- Provide technical support to qualification testing, at both in-house & external facilities, and any failure investigations (may lead investigation teams)
- Provide Production/Sales support (design/build standard queries) in the capacity of electro-mechanical design specialist
- Represent the company in the role of design specialist at technical meetings with customers/suppliers
- Undertake all electro-mechanical design activities in accordance with agreed cost, time and technical performance targets
- Support the IPT activities in mechanical design, reliability and failure analysis
- Degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering
- Extensive 3-D CAD experience, with SolidWorks the preferred system
- Familiar with EMC design considerations
- Conversant with BS8888
- Implementation of stress and thermal analyses (including finite element methods) as part of the design process
- Weight, Vibration, Thermal management and Stress design considerations
- Knowledge of design for manufacture and cost are important when coupled with attention to engineering project timescales.
- Proven mechanical design experience of avionic or other high integrity products in a harsh environment
- Thorough understanding of material properties and selection
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Highly self-motivated and the ability to work on own initiative and without supervision
- Able to design and conduct experiments, collect data and interpret results, conduct analyses and write analysis and test reports. Capability to draw conclusions and reconcile differences between predicted and actual results
- Experience designing to comply with international standards such as RTCA/DO160 and MIL-STD-810 would be an advantage
- Familiar with aerospace design specifications and qualification standards
- Additionally, AUTOCAD and ORCAD Schematic Capture experience
This position may require exposure to information which is subject to export control regulations such as the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must meet eligibility requirements of the ITAR and of the UK/EU through completion of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) application. In the event information provided on the BPSS application reveals ineligibility to access US export controlled information, any offer of employment may be withdrawn.
Curtiss-Wright values diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you require accommodation due to a disability at any time during the recruitment and/or assessment process, please contact Talent Acquisition and we will make all reasonable efforts to accommodate your request.