Cobham Aerospace Connectivity are currently looking for a Manufacturing Engineer (Composite Materials) to be the gate keeper for all organic materials manufacturing and process such as composites, adhesives, paints, primers, form. In this role you will maintain high quality standards in manufacturing process such as composite materials, whilst developing manufacturing materials technology road maps and implementation plans. You will be responsible to drive continuous improvement into the manufacturing value streams through continuous improvement strategies and lead ME for all the material process FAIs.
This role is based at our offices in Marlow, Buckinghamshire.
As a Manufacturing Engineer your key skills and experience should ideally include:
- BSc/MSc in materials science with organic chemistry major
- Charted engineer or working towards a CEng.
- Composite manufacturing modelling experience
- Professional member in MIMMM, RCC or IMachE
- Awareness of Aerospace manufacturing aerospace composites such as resign transfer moulding, injection moulding, hand layer composites.
- Adhesive bonding testing and characterisation.
- Good problem solving skills, Green Belt would be advantageous but is not necessary.
- Good project management skills
- Computer literate and able to use Microsoft Tools essential. SysPro and SinglePoint would be an advantage but not essential
- Awareness of APQP and DfSS would be an advantage
- Polymer chemistry expertise in composite materials and polymer coatings
- Paint/primer DOE , testing and qualification
- Proven Composite materials manufacturing experience
- Composite testing and fracture mechanics experience.
- Composite mould tooling 3D sold modelling
- Material flow modelling and FE modelling experience
- NDT methods in composite materials
- Paints, primer chemistry and characterisation
- Influencing and communication skills
- Working knowledge in international quality standards.
- Problem Solving & Creativity
- Managing Projects
As a Manufacturing Engineer your key responsibilities will include:
Material engineer to lead all organic material process – paints, primers, adhesives, metallic protection coatings, composite materials, foam etc. maintain SOP for material manufacturing, control plans and material structure and property data base.
Support unable products related to materials and process, work closely with engineering and supply chain to find equivalent materials and develop testing and validation plans and process / product qualification.
To work with engineering and NPI team in developing next generation composite materials.
Develop manufacturing methods with external suppliers on composite materials. Testing and characterisation of composite materials.
Working closely with design engineering on composite structural design and using FE modelling data to develop composite structures.
Support design engineers on tolerances and acceptable defects size and characterisation methods.
3D CAD modelling compression moulding tooling, mould simulation.
Take responsibility for composite manufacturing tooling designs and tool life management.
Implement DFMEA and PFMEA during the NPI process.
Gate keeper for composite component FAIs and support external vendor on achieving all the required CTQs.
Manufacturing engineering lead on organic paints, solvents and primers. Develop and maintain manufacturing and characterisation methods. Paint selection, testing and qualification lead.
Manufacturing process control on adhesives and forms applied at site, Characterisation and testing products and maintain a data base.
Processing and investigating Non Conformance Reports, and raising and pushing change
requests through the system.
Supporting Operational questions when building products.
Reviewing and updating Process Specifications.
Identifying and, where necessary designing, new tools for Operations.
To support the business in meeting capacity constraints by:
- Supporting Readiness to SubCon reviews, where appropriate.
- Highlighting where changes in run rates may impact Operations (e.g. constraints)
- Highlighting and purchasing new equipment to improve productivity
To support the on-going development of the business in terms of improving efficiencies and reducing lead times by:
- Developing investment proposals to improve Operational Performance (e.g. capital).
- Defining and managing the local revenue budget.
- Developing process proposals to reduce process complexity and improve standardisation.
To support NPI process from a materials engineering perspective.
Develop cost models, run risk reduction reviews, etc.
Work with Engineering to understand which features drive product performance and develop approaches to control them.
To work with other functions to improve the Operational Effectiveness of their Manufacturing Cells in terms of Safety, Quality, Lead-Time, Cost and People Development.
To support the development of Apprentices when assigned to Manufacturing Engineering.
Cobham Aerospace Connectivity
Manufacturers of secure, reliable communications and navigation systems
We are innovative system integrators with a pedigree of capability in Communications, Navigation and Electronic Warfare for aerospace and defence. Through continual innovation, we are able to supply highly resilient, totally dependable systems with low through-life costs that deliver outstanding performance and value. Our air, land and maritime products include Antenna Systems, Anti-Jam GPS, Radio, Audio, Air Traffic Management Systems and Electronic Warfare.