About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe - the M25.
We are looking for a TUNNEL MAINTENANCE CIVIL OPERATIVE to join us to work in Hatfield.
- To assist in the efficient operation of the M25 Tunnels and the M25 Pump Stations by undertaking maintenance and other tasks as required by the Maintenance Supervisor.
What you'll be doing
As a TUNNEL MAINTENANCE CIVIL OPERATIVE, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Reporting to the Tunnel (Senior) Maintenance Supervisor
- To be conversant with the operation of all electrical/mechanical plant, within the Dartford River Crossing and other M25 Tunnels, under normal and emergency conditions and be capable of operating systems under local or remote control
- When authorised, to carry out switching on Connect Plus Services 11kV System
- Complete switching schedules prior to any HV switching works
- Responsible for safe electrical isolations carried out on site
- To be able to carry out Planned Maintenance and defect repair work on a range of electrical equipment which includes Switchgear, Transformers, Pumps, Fans, VSDs, lighting and associated control gear
- To complete any records as required, including daily worksheets, and maintenance report sheets
- To read drawings and carry out fault finding and repairs without supervision
Who we're looking for
You will have the following:
- Must Have HGV Class 2 professional driving license
- Valid CPC Drivers Card
- IPAF Trained for MEWPS & Booms
- Confined space trained
- CSCS Safety Card or equivalent
- All round experience of tunnels maintenance regimes
- Knowledge of current Health & Safety legislation
- Ability to work without direct supervision when requested
- Operate Connect Plus Services vehicles as required and adhere to the company policies
- Ability to comply with additional training requirements for sector scheme (sector 22)
- Good customer service skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- A confident and professional manner
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Ability to work collaboratively in a complex matrix structure
- Team player
- A clear and thorough communication style
- Clean UK Drivers License
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.