ENROLLING SEPTEMBER 2020
SALARY AND PACKAGE EXCELLENT / NEGOTIABLE
ESS Recruit is delighted to be working in partnership with Techcomp Research and Engineering Centre to source Graduate Apprentices with a desire to gain a BEng (Hons) Degree in Engineering while gaining hands on practical experience.
Based in Livingston, Techcomp comprises a group of European companies engaged in the design, development, manufacture and distribution of analytical systems, life science equipment and laboratory instruments with operations dating back to 1920. Now part of a global multinational business, they are setting up and looking to aggressively expand a new research and development operation based from Scotland, supporting group companies and product families across Europe and Asia.
Products include spectrophotometers, spectrofluorometers, chromatographs, GC and GC-MS systems, precision balancers, freezers, ovens, incubators and centrifuges.
About the Opportunity
Joining Techcomp’s Research & Development Team, headquartered in Livingston, you will work as a Mechanical Engineer, learning on the job, whilst also attending Heriot Watt University as part of the Graduate Apprenticeship program to earn a BEng (Hons) Degree in Engineering: Design & Manufacture over a 4-year period.
Enrolling in September 2020 you will attend University one day a week, whilst working the remaining four days in the company where you will contribute to the development and testing of scientific instrumentation and laboratory products. Key activities of this role include:
- Design, assembly and testing of prototype mechanical components and assemblies.
- Producing 2D technical drawings and 3D CAD models.
- Writing supporting technical documentation.
Qualifications & Attributes Required
To be considered for this role, you must meet a minimum of Year 1 Degree course entry requirements at SCQF level 6, for example:
- 4 SQA Highers at minimum Grade B, including Mathematics and Physics or similar;
- 3 A Levels at BBC at minimum BBC grades, including Mathematics and Physics or similar;
- SQA HNC in an engineering discipline with Engineering Mathematics 1 & 2 (or equivalent).
Year 2 entry may be possible for candidates with SQA Advanced Highers at BBB grades, A-Levels at ABB grades or SQA HND, for the aforementioned academic subjects.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Experience of practical mechanical skills and building mechanical assemblies.
- Experience in technical drawing.
- Experience in using basic measurement equipment, such as callipers.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, able to work as part of a team.
- Keen to learn with a desire to develop your own knowledge and experience.
- A methodical, and detail-oriented mindset with a passion for solving technical problems
In order to gain your full BEng (Hons) degree qualification, this will be a challenging role whereby you will be assessed through work-based learning assignments and taught module assessments. A strong work ethic and a desire for learning is therefore essential to this role and your ultimate success.
You will be joining a very stable and growing global technology business. The diverse range of products they make, and markets served, will provide unique technical challenges and a very diverse and varied opportunity. A good base salary will be complemented by a range of benefits. Excellent long-term job safety and career opportunities are on offer for the right candidate.
Please send your CV to our retained recruitment partner Sara Zorriasatein at ESS Recruit.