Working with the Survitec New Product Development and Innovation team based in Birkenhead the Product Design Engineer will be working as part of a core team responsible for the conceptualization, design and development of new innovative products to deliver unique survival solutions in an exciting and rewarding environment.
Survitec is a global leader in survival and safety solutions to the marine, defence, aerospace and energy markets. Throughout its 160 year history, it has remained at the forefront of innovation, design and application engineering and is the trusted name when it comes to critical safety and survival solutions.
Survitec operates through two distinct businesses, for Marine and Aerospace & Defence. Together they have over 3,000 employees worldwide covering 8 manufacturing facilities, 15 offshore support centres and over 70 owned service stations. It is further supported by a network of over 500 3rd party service stations and distributors.
By setting the global standard in critical safety and survival, Survitec protects over one million lives every day.
The business is currently going through an exciting period of positive change. This position is based in the Aerospace & Defence department.
- Work closely with experienced Product Design Engineers and other technical disciplines within Survitec to develop new products and support the process of bringing them to market.
- Compile project scoping documents and documenting detailed technical requirements for the products to be developed. Ensure project related documentation is compiled and stored appropriately.
- Investigate emerging material and component technologies to meet the various applications for products and explore and implement alternative manufacturing and production processes.
- Generate conceptual sketches, models, computer renderings/images, sample designs, concept demonstrators and prototypes.
- Establish testing requirements and driving the test programs using the test data to optimise product designs.
- Actively maintain and raise awareness of current design trends, influences, and competitor technologies within the market.
- Liaise closely with all disciplines within the company to bring product to market.
- Work closely with the Sales and Marketing teams to provide technical support and present products to customers as well at formally presenting product at Industry Symposia and Trade Shows.
- Must have a valid driving license and passport and be willing to travel in the UK and Internationally when required (sometimes at short notice) to liaise with customers and suppliers when required and represent the company during off site technical activities.
- Be flexible in their commitment and ability to work extra hours outside of their normal working hours as required to complete urgent work commitments and meet challenging deadlines.
- Willing to develop their skills and experience within the industry and work towards a recognised Chartered Status.
- Educated to degree level within a Product Design or Design related discipline.
- Good level of practical knowledge of design, engineering and manufacturing, ideally having a level of industry experience with the ability to "design for manufacture".
- General IT skills including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Design related IT skills, for example CAD, Solidworks, ProEdge, etc.
All 3rd party applications will be forwarded on and reviewed by Michael Page.