The role of a Mechanical Design Engineer is to be responsible for the Mechanical Design Engineering activities in support of new products, upgrades and modifications to existing products and in-service support thereafter. A primary focus for the role, is achieving safe and fully certified product designs to meet the exacting requirements/standards of Survitec customers.
Survitec is a global leader in survival and safety solutions to the marine, defence, aerospace and energy markets. Throughout its 160 year history, it has remained at the forefront of innovation, design and application engineering and is the trusted name when it comes to critical safety and survival solutions.
Survitec operates through two distinct businesses, for Marine and Aerospace & Defence. Together they have over 3,000 employees worldwide covering 8 manufacturing facilities, 15 offshore support centres and over 70 owned service stations. It is further supported by a network of over 500 3rd party service stations and distributors.
By setting the global standard in critical safety and survival, Survitec protects over one million lives every day.
The business is currently going through an exciting period of positive change.
- Responsible for supporting all engineering efforts for a complex project or project(s) on time and budget
- Supporting role to review customer specifications and requirements and assist project team to develop designs to best support them, including cost as a key design variable.
- Responsible to ensure design compliance with all project requirements.
- Support and coordinate design reviews.
- Support and coordinate integration & test activities. Interact with test laboratories as necessary to experimentally prove new product developments.
- Support the transition of new products into production.
- Maintain engineering notes, models, records, calculations, and analyses that demonstrate the progression of the product designs.
- Engage in cost estimates for prototype and production parts, building a business case in support of product development activities.
- Evaluate, define and resolve design and manufacturing problems.
- Travel (both in the UK and overseas) to liaise with customers and suppliers when required and represent the company during off site technical activities.
- Represent the company at Technical Exhibitions and Symposia.
- Qualified to degree or equivalent level in a Mechanical/Aeronautical engineering discipline along with proven experience in mechanical design within a regulated industry. Chartered Engineer status is desirable, and/or membership of a relevant Professional Institution.
- Familiarity with MIL-STD's, Def-Stan, NAS, ASME and DoD procurement processes and procedures would be an advantage.
- Strong technical writing capabilities. Experience in defining clear technical requirements documents.
- Knowledge of various project management skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Proactively anticipate and identify potential problems on new products and concepts and develop good corrective actions by following a rigorous problem-solving process.
All 3rd party applications will be forwarded on and reviewed by Michael Page.