Role: Graduate Engineer/Technician
RPS Water has an opening in the Exeter office for either a Graduate Engineer or a Technician to join its growing team.
As a Graduate Engineer/Technician you will be working as part of a team of project engineers and data analysts providing Asset Management and Operational Strategy development to our Water Industry clients to support business planning and delivery. You will report to the Technical Manager.
The key purpose of the role is to use our deep expertise to solve problems that matter to our clients. We help them understand the performance of their assets and meet their regulatory requirements by carrying out projects such as Sustainable Economic Investment Planning, support to Water Resource Management Plans, assessment of the Benefits from New Technologies and development of Operational Targeting Tools. We also help clients develop their own procedures, processes and guidance.
This is an exciting and evolving industry, providing challenges and opportunities which require innovation, dedication and team work to help us meet our clients’ needs.
Main Responsibilities of a Graduate Engineer/Technician are:
- Data requests and coordination with clients
- Undertaking “fitness for purpose” checks on data received from clients;
- Undertaking statistical analysis of data and assist in the development of functional relationships;
- Providing GIS expertise to project work where appropriate (desired but not essential);
- Ensuring audit trails are present between data receipt and delivery to client of resulting spreadsheets, databases etc.
- Supporting the development and maintenance of existing and proposed bespoke software tools / applications as dictated by project work;
- Preparing and maintaining software documentation.
- Assisting the preparation of factual and interpretative reports;
- Discussing draft reports with relevant reviewers and making amendments as required;
- Undertaking research and investigative work relating to project brief where necessary and creating literature reviews and summaries.
- Discussing project briefs with the Technical Manager in order to outline his or her role in the project;
- Acting as Project Reviewer when nominated on designated projects;
- Assisting when required in the preparation of material for the purposes of marketing, bid submissions, client preparations etc.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications required:
- Technician -will be educated to A-level in a technical/scientific discipline.
- Graduate Engineer – will be educated to Degree level in an engineering or technical/scientific discipline.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team to solve problems that matter.
- Computing skills including previous experience of Excel.
- Previous experience of GIS or modelling software (ArcGIS, MapInfo, InfoWorks).
- VBA macro development.
- Power BI.
- Experience of delivering clean and/or waste water network projects for the UK water industry.
What we offer you
We will provide you with a flexible, friendly and creative environment to develop your skills and challenge yourself. We support our people to innovate, collaborate and build meaningful careers. Our network of people and knowledge will expand your horizons and give you access to a variety of interesting projects.
Our employees are rewarded with competitive salaries, opportunities to invest and many other benefits including: 24 days holiday + bank holidays, Option to purchase up to 5 extra days per year, Company pension scheme, Share Incentive Scheme, Life Assurance, Cycle to Work Scheme, Health Screening, Employee Assistance Programme, Professional Memberships and commitment to on-going CPD.
About RPS Group
RPS is a leading global professional services firm of 5,600 people. We define, design and manage projects that create shared value in a complex, urbanising and resource-scarce world.
Connecting with our global expertise we make it easy for our clients to create winning solutions for their communities and their clients. By being confidently pragmatic we solve problems that matter. We make complex easy.
RPS UK Water employs around 850 staff and has been providing services to the water industry since 1993. We work for all the UK water and sewerage companies and most of the water-only companies. Our services include Water Networks, Drainage, Software Solutions, Surveying, Design, Leakage Consultancy, Water Resources and Efficiency, Flood Risk and the Water Environment and Customer Service.