Landing Gear centre of competence – Carbon-Carbon Composite Brake Manufacturing & Materials Engineering Specialist
We are a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2016, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. We offer the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. We are also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe's number one space enterprise and the world's second largest space business. In helicopters, we provide the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary – on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the role
We are the world’s leading Aircraft manufacturer has an opportunity to work within its Engineering teams at Filton, Bristol.
The role has been created in the Landing Gear CoC for a Carbon-Carbon Composite Brake Manufacturing & Materials Engineering Specialist, based in Bristol, UK, reporting functionally and operationally within the Landing Gear organisation.
Within the Landing Gear Engineering Systems community, you will be responsible for providing produce design knowledge, Manufacturing & Material Engineering expertise for Carbon-Carbon Composite brake material and the Wheel and Brake as a whole product:
- Support identification and capture of manufacturing key characteristics,
- Survey/guide the industrialization of new or modified Carbon-Carbon friction materials,
- Develop the Technology roadmap and engage future Partnering opportunities with leading Academic institutes and Manufacturers (scope covering the entire Wheel and Brake product)
- Ensure the design's continuing manufacturability,
- Identify and develop solutions, eradicating technical disruptions caused by industrialisation issues affecting production Yield and in-service issues.
You will be involved in leading Work packages developing future product needs associated with new technology, specifically for the interaction or Carbon-Carbon brakes. You will be leading the development of future technologies and identifying and managing future Partners to ensure value is aligned with the strategic needs within the Business. The role will require a level of travel to Partner facilities and other sites.
- Manage the delivery of the following set of Work packages:
- Develop and mature the Technology Roadmap associated with the product and strategic business needs
- Participate in the Development of parametric design capability
- Develop a catalogue of best practices around the design and manufacturability of the product
- Contributes to secure design manufacturability in support to designers
- Identify key design drivers between components within the product
Other activities may include:
- Contributing to recovery of industrial performance improvement initiatives when relevant,
- Supporting supplier evaluation and selection from an industrial capability & maturity evaluation perspectives,
- Providing feedback design and manufacturing processes: building and sharing lessons learnt and proposing improved practices and processes,
- Creating a network of specialists to support technologies and production techniques coordinating & anticipating the competencies' needs evolution,
- Developing strategies that protect the long-term position of the company.
- Provide Carbon-Carbon friction material manufacturing expertise across the Group including Space & Defence and Helicopters
- Landing Gear Carbon Carbon Brake Manufacturing Engineering expertise (manufacturing processes, technologies, machines, key characteristics, carbon brake performance manufacturing drivers, key characteristics)
- Awareness of suppliers contractual framework
- Project management experience
- Awareness of manufacturing control applicable to aerospace applications
- Strong transnational team spirit
- Ability to work in a supplier environment as the customer
- Good communication skills (ability to influence and convince stakeholders, and to present at all business levels)
- Negotiation level of English