You can save this job and apply at a later date.
Head of Mechanical & Industrial Design
Who We Are & What We Need A-SAFE
At A-Safe we believe in the problem solved and together we make it happen.
In 2001 we invented the first industrial strength polymer safety barrier, revolutionising workplace safety. We’ve been improving world standards ever since, introducing further advanced safety solutions. Protection, segregation, detection and prevention, with integrated engineering and technological innovation.
A-SAFE’s products are used by the world’s largest organisations. Airports like Heathrow and Singapore, the production facilities of BMW and Jaguar Land Rover, and warehouses and distribution centres for DHL and Amazon.
We are assembling a world class innovation and development team whose purpose is to find unresolved user pains together with disruptive opportunities and develop innovative product, service and business model solutions.
We are revolutionising workplace safety by developing mechanical, electronic and software products and need a Head of Mechanical & Industrial Design to help take us to the next stage of our innovation strategy.
Reporting to the Innovation & Technical Director and being a member of the Innovation & Development Senior Team, you will be responsible for defining departmental strategy and tactics whilst developing solutions to our validated opportunities.
The Mechanical & Industrial Design Team needs a strong leader to help coach the existing team, recruit new members and introduce modern processes and frameworks capable of delivering our strategy.
How You Can Help Us
- Working in the Innovation & Development senior team to define departmental strategy and tactics in line with company strategy and objectives
- Supporting the embedding and growth of departmental and company cultures whilst we continue our rapid growth
- Leading and managing a team of mechanical engineers, industrial designers, subject-matter-experts, test engineers and technicians whilst supporting them in creating industry leading products that are fit for purpose
- Designing and implementing a world-class process for managing a wide variety of mechanical and industrial design projects
- Build, develop, coach and mentor a team capable of delivering against the company’s and departments strategic and key objectives.
- Delivering projects on time and on budget, constantly ensuring the quality and technical approach of your team strives to be world-class.
Other Things We Expect You to Do
- Ensuring your team is adequality resourced
- Providing technical leadership
- Managing department assets and tools
- Performance managing your team
- Providing technical leadership to the team and wider company
- Developing and maintaining supplier relationships
- Driving our pioneering culture and internal and external collaboration
- Fostering and developing team spirit
- Challenging the norm
What We Would Like You to Bring to Our Team
- 10+ years’ experience in mechanical and/or industrial design teams
- Empathetic approach to understanding and identifying customers pains
- Confident in technical procedures and documentation, including FEA, FMEA, tolerance stack analysis and mechanical testing
- Familiar with innovative product development processes
- Excellent communication skills
- History of successfully managing people and resources to deliver development programmes
- Experience in creating mechanical concepts and taking them through development and validation to production
- Confident user of CAD and supporting tools /systems
- A can-do, we can achieve anything mindset
- Experience of working with a variety of materials and manufacturing processes
What We Think Success in This Role Looks Like
You will have successfully implemented a process and framework capable of delivering our strategy whilst building a highly capable team that delivers on their commitments, all whilst seeing levels of collaboration and innovation that support our pioneering culture.
This is a great opportunity to join at a time of rapid growth. We have huge global demand for our products due to our leading-edge safety innovation, with subsidiaries in fifteen countries on five continents. We offer a fast-paced, energetic and creative environment, working with the latest technologies.
We have a great track record of developing talent. Offering training, professional study support and career opportunities.
Our benefits package includes competitive salary, 25 days holiday, pension. A-Safe Advantage benefits include flexible start & finish times, flex long-weekend scheme, Childcare vouchers, cycle to work, discount schemes, free secure parking.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE. We do not accept speculative agency CVs. Any CV received by us will be treated as a gift and not eligible for an agency fee.
Create new Job Alert
Create a new Job Alert to make sure you see the best new jobs first!
Your search has been saved and has been added to your Job Alerts
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.