You can save this job and apply at a later date.
Mechanical Designer (Grid Systems)
Mechanical Designer (Grid Systems)
Closing date 30 Apr 2019
Hours 40 hours per week
Contract type Full-time
Location Welwyn Garden City (Remus)
As the world’s leading technology innovator in online grocery shopping with a pioneering business model, developing our own technology and new customer propositions, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships, there has never been a better time to join us. We pride ourselves on the quality of our people, goods and technological advances that power everything we do.
Our growing Automation Engineering team are at the forefront of this. From developing new products that are released into our own Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFC), along with designs for our Ocado Solutions business helping other retailers around the world to enhance their online fulfilment.
So what’s the role?
As a Mechanical Design Engineer, you’ll work on the design of a wide range of systems, sub-systems and components, typically structures and related static equipment. This will include:
- Carrying out detailed mechanical design work including 3D modelling, calculations, simulation and design verification testing as needed;
- Developing designs to meet requirements while following DFx best practise;
- Selecting mechanical parts taking into consideration functionality, cost, availability and obsolescence;
- Creating technical specifications including functional design specifications, 2D drawings, assembly drawings and bills of materials;
- Managing technical risk, ensuring significant risks are reported and mitigated;
- Solving engineering problems in a structured and methodical manner using data to make decisions. Calculations, methods and reasons for decisions are documented, reviewed and published;
- Traveling to other company sites and to suppliers to present work, collaborate on projects and seek advice;
- Preparing and presenting mechanical concepts and designs at reviews;
- Liaising with other departments and sites. This includes working closely with Operations, manufacturers and production engineers to ensure designs are optimised for manufacture;
- Supporting the transition of designs into manufacture;
What would we like to see?
- A good Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Mechanical Engineering qualification with experience;
- A proven track record in designing structures or products that have gone into production;
- Expert experience in CAD; preferably SolidWorks and PDM software;
- Substantial experience draughting to BS8888 with the use of GD&T;
- A good understanding of component selection;
- The ability to generate supporting calculations required for a Technical File and Certification (CE, UL CSA or other);
- The ability to work within a team on multiple projects, to prioritise tasks and to manage own time;
- Experience of delivering work packages to time and budget constraints.
We have revolutionised the online grocery world in the UK. Our technology is at the forefront of our business and it’s the people, like you, willing to challenge the norm to come up with innovative ideas that have enabled this. We offer a challenge like no other, interesting projects to work on and a sense that you are part of a team doing something different. In return we offer benefits such as contributory pension schemes, private medical insurance, life assurance, employee discount on Ocado and our speciality stores sites (Fetch, Sizzle, Fabled by Marie Claire) and an opportunity to continue with your career development. So why not come and join us on this journey.
Create new Job Alert
Create a new Job Alert to make sure you see the best new jobs first!
Your search has been saved and has been added to your Job Alerts
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.
The job: has been sent to: