You can save this job and apply at a later date.
Electrical Design Engineer
Ocado’s Product Development team are revolutionising the next wave of automation within engineering, we need a talented Electrical Design Engineer to design our latest and greatest machines and robots.
Electrical Design Engineer
What will I be doing?
Design of electrical machines and systems for products that are required for products into Ocado customer fulfilment centres.
Currently there are 4 Electrical Design engineers. The current team reports into the Manager – Design. This role will report into the Electronics and Electrical Engineering manager.
Who will I work with?
- Mechanical, Structural, Electronics Design Engineers
- Engineering Project Managers
- Reliability Engineering
- Vendors and Suppliers
- Installation team
- External design consultancies
This role does not have any budget responsibilities.
What are the key parts of my role?
- Selecting and configuring controls, power and safety system architecture for new automation equipment for AC & DC systems.
- Designing automated machines, their sub systems or their components using control systems, machinery systems and sub-systems
- Specifying and selecting electrical components, for EU and International applications
- Power calculations and budgeting
- Conducting and participating design review for new product designs and changes/modifications to existing designs.
- Design of robotic cells and pick and place systems.
- Solving engineering problems plus relevant investigation activities, and present root cause analysis and solutions.
- Approving and signing off drawings.
- Supporting the transfer to a contract manufacturer for machines with production volumes from 10 offs to 10000s
- Working with relevant regulations.
- Setting electrical engineering best practice within the R&D Team.
- Be able to review design outputs from both internal and external design resources.
- Advising on test procedures and test rigs
- Support development of design verification test plans.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications we would like to see:
- Ability to select standard components and design automation products
- Experience on working on electrical cabinets and control systems for applications globally
- Demonstrated evidence of working with suppliers and contract manufacturers
- Experience of developing products to medium manufacturing volumes.
- Experience of full product development lifecycle.
- Experience of working on Eplan and Matlab
Preferred (in addition to minimum)
- Experience of simulation of electrical systems
- Worked actively on DFMEA, PFMEA
- Essential Software: Eplan, Microsoft office (particularly PowerPoint and Excel), Visio, Matlab
- Presentation skills
- Documentation skills
- Ability to develop and maintain electrical calculators, thermal modelling of system electrical components
- Desirable: experience of simulation, electromechanical architecture
- Working to requirements, developing Functional design specifications.
The Ocado Way
At Ocado, in everything we do, we strive to offer the very best to our customers - the best service, the best quality and the very best customer experience. That begins with each and every one of us and how we behave.
Our values are Ocado’s DNA; they act as a guide for everything we say and do. ‘The Ocado Way’ develops our values into the details about the way we do things - how we act and work together with each other and our customers. It describes how you need to behave at work to make a real and positive impact on our success.
To read more about The Ocado Way and please click here.
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado, Smart Pass and destination site
Create new Job Alert
Create a new Job Alert to make sure you see the best new jobs first!
Your search has been saved and has been added to your Job Alerts
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.
The job: has been sent to: