Senior Software Engineer (front-end/full stack)
Salary Range: £65,000 - £90,000
NHS prescriptions are complicated. And we want to change that. Driven by an innovative spirit and strong moral compass, we’re on a mission to make NHS prescriptions simple for everyone.
Since 2015 we’ve grown from a plucky start-up to a team of over 200 people – and become the fastest growing pharmacy in the UK. Today, over half a million people use our apps to manage their NHS prescriptions, and our patients rate us as ‘Excellent’ on Trustpilot.
But there’s so much more to do. Because while 1 in 2 adults in the UK has a repeat prescription, only 3.2% of them use an online pharmacy. And we need bright minds to help us change how people manage their medicine for good.
True to our start-up roots, LloydsDirect has a supportive, entrepreneurial culture. We move fast, challenge the status quo, and always try to do the right thing. Sound good? Then we’d love to hear from you.
What you’ll do as Senior Software Engineer (front-end/full stack)
These days what constitutes “front-end” is broad indeed. For us, front-end means you care about creating performant, accessible and delightful user interfaces with TypeScript, React, ReactNative, CSS-in-JS, GraphQL and Jest. We don’t expect you to know all of these, as long as you have an interest in learning them.
As a senior engineer you will:
- Understand our business goals and strategy and be able to make decisions based on them
- Be able to take ambiguous problems, break them down, and help to find elegant solutions that don’t gloss over the details
- Contribute to code shared across projects
- Mentor other engineers through code reviews and pairing
You will work on a product team alongside three other software engineers, an engineering manager, a product manager, a designer, a data analyst and a user researcher.
At LloydsDirect you’ll use and contribute to our design system/component library. You’ll also have the opportunity to get involved across the stack (for example, learning Go or SQL) if that interests you.
This role is for you if:
- You’re excited by the idea of working on a product that helps make people’s lives better
- The technology we use sounds interesting to you (or you already know and love it)
- You get a kick out of making UIs that “just feel right”
- You enjoy collaborating with product managers and designers to execute on a rich product/design vision
- Hooks, time to first paint, a11y, flexbox and cross-browser compatibility (no IE, we promise) all mean something to you
- You love mentoring other engineers and believe that doing it is at least as valuable as your work as an individual contributor
This role may not be for you if:
- You’re more into quibbling about tech stacks or coding styles (we have linters for that) than creating a really great product
- You measure your success by lines of code written over the impact it has
- You only want to work off fully specified requirements and to not have to talk with your team mates
At LloydsDirect we love curious people. For this role, we’re looking for someone who has real-world experience building and shipping software. We believe that engineers can and do learn new languages and technologies, so we don’t require previous experience with our specific tech stack.
Our interview process
We know that applying for a new job takes effort, and we appreciate every application we receive. However, as we receive a large number of CVs and portfolios, we’re unable to respond to all applicants.
If you are invited to interview, here’s what you can expect.
The first stage of our interview process is a phone call with our internal talent and recruitment team. If that goes well, the next step will be a 30 minute video call with the hiring manager. The final stage will be our ‘peer interviews’ which will be a video interview with the wider team for you to chat through your experience and for us to get to know you a little better, followed by a technical interview.
You can read more about our interview process in more detail here.
LloydsDirect is a fantastic place to work with a mission that really makes a difference. Along with a competitive salary, our people benefit from:
- 25 days of annual leave
- £500 budget for home office equipment
- £350 per year physical wellbeing allowance to spend on gym membership, dance classes, etc.
- £500 per year learning and development allowance
- enhanced maternity pay (13 weeks) and paternity pay (6 weeks)
- cycle to work scheme
- private dental insurance
- life assurance
- travel loan
- regular yoga classes
- Headspace app
- dog-friendly office (Shoreditch only)
- summer and Christmas parties
- regular online and in-person socials.
We are dedicated to creating opportunities and reducing barriers for everyone, we are committed to ensuring that any forms of discrimination or biases are excluded from our recruitment and selection process, performance management and pay, and that promotion and retention is fairly granted across all our operations. We are committed to seeking ‘belonging’, here at LloydsDirect. The space where we represent and understand our diversity, promote and encourage our equality and inevitably create a space where we are all free to grow and demonstrate our talents...a place where we ALL belong.
We especially encourage applications from women, people from the LGBTQIA+ community, people with disabilities, and people from minoritised ethnic groups.
If you have an individual need for an adjustment to our process, please let us know so we can talk about how we can best support you and make any adjustments to the interview process.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide any financial information. Please get in touch if you see any roles asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information, visit jobsaware.co.uk.