We exist to rewrite the rules of insurance so it’s something people stand with, not against.
Our story began in 2017 when we set out to transform bicycle insurance by connecting passionate cyclists all over the UK to form a collective and protect their bikes. A better model for insurance was born.
Fast forward to today and we’ve:
- Been awarded Best Cycle Insurance Provider (for 3 years in a row)
- Expanded to commercial business and quickly become leaders in last-mile insurance
- Launched into new territories and now rolling-out across Europe
- Captured the enthusiast cyclist market and expanded across all cycling segments
- Opened offices in London, Bristol, Amsterdam and have enabled remote working
Help us change an outdated industry.
We’re growing real fast on our path to make the Laka collective model the industry standard and we’re expanding across segments, products, and territories. We’re looking for innovative, bold and brave minds to help us build the world’s best insurance company.
About the role
We’re searching for passionate and creative developers who want to work on something that’s more than ‘just another app’. We are changing the way things are done, and the way people feel about insurance - that starts with a good idea but only works with smart people, building great software.
We don’t expect you to know everything when you join (or ever, in fact) - we encourage you to learn as you go, through training and mentoring, so you can develop existing skills and learn new ones.
We’re a small team, if you come to work with us then the role will grow with and around your experience, personal goals and professional development.
Our full-stack includes: React, Redux, GraphQL (Apollo), gRPC (protobufs), ActiveMQ, Kubernetes, AWS/GCP, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis and some awesome DevOps tooling.
What you'll be doing:
- Working on a microservices platform delivering a unique insurance model to cyclists across Europe
- You'll have the opportunity to work on data/ML projects, visualisation and industry leading consumer facing applications
- You'll be joining a relatively small, but highly collaborative Tech team, playing a huge part in Laka's continued growth
Location: our head office is in Central London, but our software engineering team are mostly based from Bristol. That said, we’re flexible and understand sometimes you just want to work from home or wherever inspires you the most.
You’ll be successful here by:
- Having experience working with
- at least one backend platform
- Feeling comfortable with a strong culture of mutual support and feedback
- Being keen to learn new things and recognise when it's time to use the 'best tools for the job' rather than trying to 'make things fit'
- Ideally have some real-world development experience (personal/work projects)
It would be great if you have an interest or other experience in:
- Native mobile apps for Android and/or iOS
- AI, machine learning or data visualisation
And just so you know, Insurance experience isn’t required (for most roles). We’ll teach you anything you need to know and upskill you if needed. But… before you apply, please make sure that you have permission to work in the UK as we’re unable to provide visa sponsorship for any of our current roles.
At Laka, we’re passionate about building a culture that cares for our people as much as we care for our customers. Our benefits package currently includes:
- A remote-first, flexible working environment, built on trust and autonomy
- Share options - we want everyone to have a stake in our success
- Annual bonus scheme of up to 10% of your salary
- 25 days annual leave, with the option to take more if you need it
- Full cover Private Medical Insurance
- £200 contribution to your home working set up
- £500 annual personal development allowance
- Retail discounts programme, provided through CharlieHR Perks at Work
- £10 per month Laka credit - for all you bike enthusiasts
- Wellbeing and mental health support, via Spill
- Access to co-working office spaces, with fun social events, including paid-for weekly team lunches & offsites
To find out more about what it’s like to work at Laka, visit our careers page here.
Our customer collective is broad and inclusive, and we'd like our own people to be too. We continuously strive to build a diverse team from all backgrounds as we believe that varied experiences and perspectives makes the Laka collective even stronger. If you’d like to request a reasonable adjustment as part of our application or assessment process, please let us know by emailing (url removed)
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide any financial information. Please get in touch if you see any roles asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information, visit jobsaware.co.uk.