Cookpad is a tech company building a community platform that enables people to share recipe ideas and cooking tips. It’s a global platform used by on average around 100 million people every month across the world. Over 6 million recipes have been created by people in more than 70 countries. How we got started.
Cookpad is dedicated to shaping the future of home cooking and food as a pillar for a sustainable future. Our mission is to make everyday cooking fun. We believe we can build a better world through encouraging even more people to cook. Everyday, home cooking has a profound impact on ourselves and the world around us: it makes us healthier and connects us with our friends and family. Through solving the problems related to everyday cooking, we help people live happier and healthier lives in an environment that is more sustainable. That’s how we want to impact the world.
Take a look at this article to learn more about Cookpad and our Medium blog to see what it is like to work at Cookpad. You can also find our engineering blog at (url removed) to read about some of the interesting engineering challenges we work on.
Cookpad is one of Japan's best known tech companies, listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, and was already highly successful before launching globally in 2013. With strong backing we have spent the last few years building the global platform and we are now in our commercialisation phase of the business.
As a Cookpad Engineer, you will join a very high performing global team to help deliver our product to end users throughout the world.
What will your typical week look like?
- Pitch solutions to answer product engineers' pain points and friction areas that cause slowdowns in development.
- Provide product engineers with the best tools and workflows to do their job as efficiently and effortlessly as possible, like streamlining internal build distribution flows or improving how we sync translations.
- Keeping up to date with Xcode, Swift and any other dependencies as we keep our software up to the latest stable versions. You might be involved in a project to prepare for the next major iOS release adoption.
- Automating new developer workflows or improving existing workflows. We use a varied tech stack but with a lot of focus on using Swift (XcodeGen, Mint, Vapor etc) and Ruby (fastlane and CocoaPods). If you have experience that is great, but if not, we’ll help you get up to speed!
- Collaborate with the Web platform team to improve our OpenAPI integration.
- Participate actively in our Special Interest groups (iOS, APIs, Accessibility) sharing and defining best practices.
- Reviewing Pull Requests, sharing knowledge and learning from other developers.
- Shadowing other product teams to build your understanding of how your colleagues operate at Cookpad and to discover new ways to optimise workflows in order for us to increase our impact.
- Discussing implementation details to solve problems asynchronously via Slack, Github, and synchronously in person or via Zoom if necessary.
- Participating in planning sessions to help steer the direction of our all-Swift codebase. Right now your focus is mostly on adapting the codebase to modularise code in ways that help to improve incremental build times and increase developer productivity, but that is just one of the many challenges.
- Providing honest and constructive feedback to each other, be it’s technical or non-technical.
Is this role for you?
This role could be based on site in Bristol (we provide relocation and visa sponsorship), or alternatively can be remote. We are currently working in a hybrid model, at the moment this entails being in the office one day per week of your choosing if you are Bristol based, and one week per quarter otherwise.
You will be responsible for the shared infrastructure of the iOS project and you should be an advocate for technical excellence building native apps within the Apple ecosystem.
Our team of international engineers, collaborate, experiment and put forward innovative ideas. We want talented iOS engineers who we can learn from, who demonstrate great insight and really understand core issues, and who can develop innovative solutions that move our team forward.
An ideal candidate should have:
- Extensive experience working with Apple platforms and developer tools.
- Proficiency with the iOS tech stack, particularly using Swift, UIKit and Foundation.
- Experience maintaining continuous integration systems involving tools such as Jenkns, Bitrise, GitHub Actions and fastlane.
- Great debugging skills with the desire to understand a problem, learn from it and work towards a solution for the root cause.
- Experience with all phases of the development lifecycle, including planning, design, implementation, distribution and support.
- Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends, and emerging technologies.
- Clear communication with your team, especially via the clean, maintainable and well tested code that you write.
- Experience working on internationalised projects or eagerness to learn.
- Familiar with App Store distribution and release workflows via both automation and manually in App Store Connect.
- Effective collaboration across a wide range of cross-functional teams.
- Knowledge and experience with XCTest and other frameworks to maintain and grow Unit, UI and Snapshot testing suites.
The above description of the role is not finite, please apply even if you don’t think you fit all the requirements. We are looking for people who show promise, are eager to learn and connect with our mission.
Why join Cookpad?
People join Cookpad to be part of something bigger - to make a difference.
We offer competitive salaries and all the benefits you’d expect, including a generous 7% employer pension contribution, private medical insurance + cycle to work, and workplace nursery schemes.
We started working from home in the very early stage of the pandemic to keep our members safe. Along with relaxed restrictions, our office is operating with limited capacity at the moment but expecting to recover. Before the pandemic, we did a few things you might not expect. From breakfast to team lunches, from pilates to cooking lessons, from time off for voluntary work to company socials.
We believe that the space we work in is important. We’ve created beautiful, innovative workspaces that reflect our culture and values, and are confident that we will once again have a very vibrant work environment when we return to some level of normality.
What happens next?
We’re building a global company with a global team that’s full of world-class talent. Our hiring process is designed to let your talent shine and for us to get to know each other so we know we’re the right fit.
Our engineering interview process consists of the following stages
- Chat with someone from our People Team to help us get to know you better.
- Take-home technical test. This is designed to understand how you think and is based on the kinds of tasks you might work on day to day at Cookpad. (No algorithms on whiteboards here!)
- Face to face technical interview with developers from the same engineering discipline as you, this generally involves pairing on a small task, discussing a problem and collaborating on a solution, or discussing your take home technical test in more depth.
- Interview with the Product Manager and Lead Engineer on the team you are applying for.
- Interview with the Managing Director and/or Head of Engineering.
We aim to run through these stages quickly and typically you can expect a timeframe of between 2 and 3 weeks to complete the process.
Please apply using the link below. As well as your CV, we’d like to hear why you’re interested in the role and how your skills and experience will help you contribute to the team.
We will let you know if we’d like to talk with you; during Covid most interviews are via video link.
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
When applying for a job with Cookpad, we will collect personal data about you. We use that personal data for recruitment and hiring related activities, including analysis of those activities. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of the General EU Data Protection Regulation and UK GDPR as necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide any financial information. Please get in touch if you see any roles asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information, visit jobsaware.co.uk.