As a Craftsperson-in-Training (CT) [Software Engineer], you will join our paid intensive training Academy program.
There is no fixed time to complete the program, but you will study for a minimum of 14 weeks, with training led by senior craftspeople within the company. It will cover a number of topics, including classic and outside-in TDD, design patterns, legacy code, Domain Driven Design, databases, quality engineering and Agile processes.
After completing the program you will graduate as a Software Craftsperson and join your fellow Craftspeople on client projects, utilising all the skills that you have learned / honed during your time in the Academy!
The next program is due to start on 1st September 2022.
By the end of the Academy program you will:
- Have experience of working within a Codurance team
- Be able to engineer, architect and advise on simple distributed systems,
- Be able to implement and advise on simple CI/CD pipelines,
- Have all the necessary skills to be a consultant at Codurance:Interact fluently and perform confidently in all client roles (technical and non-technical)
- Be able to give opinions and options
- Support and coach other developers
- Be able to participate in all related client-facing activities (practice talks, workshops, demonstrations)
What about you?
You are passionate about software. You have an interest in improving your skills, and being in an industry that is constantly evolving, have embraced a commitment to continuous learning. You understand the benefits of test-driven development. You have a working familiarity with OO design, have tried to utilise it in coding situations, and learn from the results. You may not be adept at refactoring, but you appreciate that it helps make your code easier to understand and modify. Similarly, you strive to make your code clean, and easy to grasp by revealing its intent.
Above all, you should have a desire to deliver high-quality software, and realise the key to this is adopting good practices. You understand that software lives on long after it is first delivered and that many different people will contribute to it over its lifetime. You have realised that writing code that is easy to understand, and supported by well-designed tests, is a great way of demonstrating you are a team player, as it helps you comprehend and modify your work. You spend time investing in your craft, learning new technologies and practicing different techniques and approaches.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Are happy to learn or work with Java (this is the language we will be using on the program)
- Have commercial experience working within a development team.
- Have an awareness of Extreme Programming practices and an understanding of Agile practices - how and why these help a team work effectively.
- Are an excellent communicator and enjoy collaborating with others and working in a team
(If you don't have experience in all of the above but are interested in the role and working with us, please still apply and we can have a chat)
It’s an added bonus if you:
- Have DevOps experience or worked with any cloud platforms
- Transparency - salary bandings and company finances are available from day one.
- Autonomy - got an idea? Form an Initiative Circle, take ownership, run with it, and see it through to delivery.
- Our People - You’ll be working alongside Craftspeople who share your interest in learning, whether that’s on a client project or contributing to our internal projects.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) including access to wellbeing support (counselling, therapy)
- Regular company sessions covering many topics, from Wellbeing to Inclusion & Diversity, and Tech Communities of Practice
Once you complete the Academy you will have access to:
- Personal Learning Budget - Access to Learnerbly, our online learning & development tool, to support your personal development and career progression here.
- Training - No fixed training budget. So long as the course is relevant for the company and you'll do a lightning talk on the subject, we’re happy to pay for it.
- 25 days' annual leave
- Life cover and private medical - A ‘Lump Sum’ payment for life cover. Private medical cover including dental.
- Pensions and Income Protection
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity leave
- Cycle to Work Scheme
Everyone should have the right to bring their whole self to work and be celebrated for who they are. Our people are hired purely on their commitment to these values and their ambition to deliver outstanding results for our clients. Codurance is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer and is committed to fostering an inclusive workplace.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide any financial information. Please get in touch if you see any roles asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information, visit jobsaware.co.uk.